Leftover turkey is inevitable during the holidays, but it means that we can make all of our favorite leftover turkey recipes for weeks to come (YAY!!)! Since we create a feast at Thanksgiving, roasted turkey and of course stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn casserole and other favorites, we always have a ton of leftovers to bring home!
I have compiled a list of the best leftover turkey recipes, so you can ensure that delicious turkey doesn’t go to waste. So if you’re wondering what to do with leftover turkey, look no further! Whether you want to completely recreate a new recipe like turkey soup or keep it simple with a hot turkey sandwich, don’t waste a single piece of that delicious turkey!
What To Do With Leftover Turkey
The great thing about roasting turkey or turkey breasts is that it’s cooked once and then you have easy prep for days (or weeks to come)! I personally try to use every bit of the turkey from the neck and backbone (that I remove when I make spatchcock turkey) to the bones after for making turkey broth for soup.
Here are some of our top recipes to make with leftover turkey!
How to Store Leftover Turkey
According to The Food Network, there are a few ways to properly store your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers.
Storing leftover turkey is totally dependant on what you intend to do with it.
- Making stock? You need to save the bones and remove the meat.
- Making leftover turkey stacks? Keep the turkey sliced or shred them.
- Turkey soup? I like to cube my leftover turkey.
Think about the recipes you are hoping to make, and get the turkey prepared accordingly.
How Long is Leftover Turkey Good For
Regardless of how you intend to use it, store leftover turkey meat and bones separately in airtight containers or zippered bags. This will help keep it fresh as long as possible.
- In the fridge, the leftover turkey should last 3-5 days.
- In the freezer, it should last for up to a month if frozen. Perfect when you intend to use it later!
When reheating, make sure you only reheat what you’re eating, not a big portion at once. We love to portion out our turkey in smaller sizes before freezing so we can easily take out a portion at a time!
What to Make With Leftover Turkey
When it comes to leftover turkey ideas there is no shortage. Especially when you consider that almost every recipe made with chicken is great with turkey too! A delicious turkey pot pie or turkey salad sandwich are just some of the delicious ways to use it.
Leftover Turkey Soups & Chili:
Bell warming soups are a great way to enjoy leftover turkey and they are so easy to make. Perfect for the cooler months, toss them in the crockpot or make them on the stove for a quick and easy meal! Serve with some dinner rolls or a thick slice of garlic bread to soak up every last drop!
- Leftover Turkey Soup with Potato Drop Dumplings – Spend With Pennies
- Slow Cooker Turkey Soup (Cajun Bean) – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Noodle Soup – Spend With Pennies
- Spicy Southwest Turkey and Bean Soup – Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Creamy Wild Rice Soup – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Tortilla Soup – The Suburban Soapbox
- Leftover Turkey & Sweet Potato Soup – Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Turkey Soup – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Tetrazzini Soup – The Recipe Rebel
- Turkey Chowder – Sugar Spun Run
- Turkey Chili – Spend With Pennies
Leftover Turkey Casserole Recipes
Casseroles are my favorite, easy to make ahead of time, low on dishes, and belly-warming for sure! Most Chicken Casserole recipes start with cooked chicken and it can almost always be substituted for cooked turkey (which is a big part of the reason I cook more turkey than I need).
- Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole with Turkey – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Stuffing Roll Ups – Spend With Pennies
- Cheesy Turkey Zucchini Casserole – Eazy Peazy Meals
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole – Spend With Pennies
- Leftover Turkey Lasagna Rolls with Sundried Tomatoes & Spinach – Cookin Canuck
- Salsa Chicken Casserole – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Broccoli Rice Casserole – Spend With Pennies
- Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole – The Chunky Chef
Leftover Turkey Salads & Sandwiches
Leftover turkey is, of course, great for meals like soups and casseroles but it makes for a great lunch too! We use it in place of chicken in our favorite Chicken Salad Sandwiches and add it to Dill Pickle Pasta Salad for a hearty meal! My absolute favorite way to enjoy leftover turkey is as a hot turkey sandwich though (recipe below)!
- Turkey Cranberry Pasta Salad – Spend With Pennies
- Classic Chicken Salad – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Wine and Glue
- Club Sandwich – Spend With Pennies
- Monte Cristo Sandwich – Spend With Pennies
- Turkey Sandwich – Spend With Pennies
- Leftover Turkey Salad – Spend With Pennies
Hot Turkey Sandwich
- 4 slices bread any kind
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 cup gravy leftover, canned, or homemade gravy
- 10 oz turkey leftover or sliced deli turkey
- Heat gravy in a small saucepan until boiling.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add turkey slices. Cook until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Toast bread, spread with mayonnaise. Top with turkey slices and extra gravy.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)