A Turkey Sandwich with cranberry sauce and cheese is one of the easiest ways to turn leftover roast turkey into a quick and tasty meal. In just minutes you can have this on the table, perfect for dinner or lunch!
What Bread is Best for Sandwiches?
When it comes to turkey sandwiches, so look for substantial breads that are dense and will hold the fillings without getting floppy or squishy when cut in half. A dense crusty bakery bread is delicious but should be thinly sliced.
Hearty, toasted whole grain bread is my hands-down favorite. Rye or pumpernickel are also yummy. Toasted slices of brioche bread or croissants cut in half are also excellent, although more delicate.
How to Make a Turkey Sandwich
Sandwiches are super easy to make on sliced, toasted bread slathered with mayo, but shouldn’t be a struggle to eat. There’s nothing worse than biting into a sandwich and having all the tasty ingredients slither out into your lap! For best eating enjoyment, prep your ingredients with that thought in mind.
Here are some sandwich architecture tips for building a sandwich that is not only delicious but very easy to eat:
- Slice turkey (or use deli turkey if desired).
- Add mayonnaise and cranberry sauce to the bread. Shred lettuce, or use only the flattest and most tender part of the leaf.
- Create your layers of sandwich and serve.
What to Put on a Turkey Sandwich
The sky’s the limit here folks! A classic turkey sandwich has lettuce and tomato at a minimum. Here are some other variations for turning your Thanksgiving leftovers into a series of sensational meals.
- Hot Open Face – Top slices of turkey on bread, crumble on some dressing and smother in gravy, like this hot turkey sandwich.
- Plain Grilled – Turkey, deli ham slices, American cheese and tomato on rye bread, pumpernickel or your favorite bread.
- Turkey Reuben Panini – If you have a panini press, pile on the turkey, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on rye bread slices that have been buttered on the outside, and cook to a golden crispy crunch. Grilling in a skillet will work too. Serve this one with Thousand Island Dressing on the side.
- Turkey Salad – Make an easy turkey salad recipe and fill croissants or toasted English muffins!
My busy mom used to say one of the best things about turkey day was all of the leftovers that could be made into quick and tasty turkey recipes. And after two days in the kitchen mashing, chopping, and grating, who could blame her? Now it’s your turn to invent your own signature post-Thanksgiving sandwich. Who knows? It just might become as traditional as the holiday itself!
Best Sandwich Recipes
- Club Sandwich – classic sandwich
- Ham Salad – great for leftover ham!
- Chicken Club Sandwich – topped with avocado
- BLT Grilled Cheese – All-American sammy everyone loves!
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad – great with turkey!
- 4 slices wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ounces cheese provolone or mozzarella
- 6-8 slices deli turkey or 4 slices leftover turkey
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Spread 2 of the slices with mayonnaise.
- Top with cheese, turkey, lettuce, and tomatoes (optional). Season with salt & pepper if desired.
- Spread remaining slices of bread with cranberry sauce and top sandwich.
- Cut in half and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!