Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings. Juicy chicken breasts cook to tender perfection in the slow cooker in a rich creamy sauce. Shortcut dumplings make this deliciously comforting meal effortless for a family favorite everyone will agree on.
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken and Dumplings are probably the ultimate comfort food. Tender juicy shredded chicken and soft dumplings in a rich creamy brothy gravy.
This recipe uses a few little short cuts to make it really quick and easy to put together. I love the addition of frozen veggies for color, flavor and some extra nutrients.
The best part about this recipe is that it cooks up in the slow cooker all day long. That means you can spend about 5 minutes prepping and head on out and run your errands (or go for lunch with your friends which sounds much more fun). The slow cooker does all of the work but the results are just as amazing as a from scratch recipe!
When cooking dairy in the slow cooker (such as cream) it can often separate or curdle so I’ve subbed in condensed soup in this recipe. Condensed soup holds up very well in the slow cooker making it the perfect swap in this recipe!
I use a can of premade biscuits to make the dumplings. You’re going to want to roll them extra thin as they do puff up a little while they cook. If you don’t want to use (or don’t have) canned biscuits, feel free to mix up a batch of your favorite homemade biscuits to create your own dumplings. Once you shred the chicken and stir it back in, your dumplings will break up a little bit but don’t worry. The edges soak up a bit of the sauce making for a perfect bowl of comfort.
Once you try this easy recipe, it’ll quickly become your favorite go to for slow cooker chicken and dumplings.
I used a 6QT crock pot for this recipe. My biscuits are always perfectly cooked after 60 minutes however some slow cookers have required a little bit of extra time to cook the biscuits. Once the biscuits are cooked through they will still have a soft dumpling-like texture.
Ensure your slow cooker is on high and the liquid should be bubbling along the edges when you open the lid to add your vegetables and biscuits. You’ll want to ensure you open the lid for as little time as possible and that your vegetables are completely defrosted.
Note: Buttermilk, Country or Homestyle Biscuits work best in this recipe. When adding the vegetables/biscuits ensure the lid is left off as little as possible. Leaving the lid off for long periods of time will drastically increase cooking time.
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings. Juicy chicken breasts cook to tender perfection in the slow cooker in a rich creamy sauce. Shortcut dumplings make this delicious comforting meal effortless.
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of celery soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen vegetables or peas and carrots , defrosted
- 1 can (8 pieces) refrigerated biscuits (Buttermilk, Country or Homestyle)
- Add onion to 6 qt crock pot and top with chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, combine cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper. Spread over chicken breasts. Top with chicken broth and cook on high 5 hours.
- Approximately 1 hour (I allow 60 – 90 minutes) before serving (after 4 hours of cooking time), roll each biscuit thin and flat. Cut into 4 strips. Add vegetables to the slow cooker and stir. Add biscuit strips on top. Replace lid as quickly as possible.
- Remove chicken breasts and slightly shred. Add back into slow cooker and stir (this will break up the dumplings somewhat which is ok). Let cook an additional 10 minutes and serve.
My biscuits were perfectly cooked after 60 minutes however some slow cookers have required extra time to cook the biscuits.