This easy Banana Bread recipe is a no-fail favorite that comes out perfect every time!
With a handful of ingredients that you likely have on hand and only a few minutes of prep, you’re going to start buying extra bananas just for this recipe!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick This is so quick to prepare, you’ll probably have it ready to go before your oven even finishes preheating!
- Easy Ingredients The ingredients needed are things I always have on hand so I can make this at a moments notice.
- No-Fail This recipe turns out perfectly every time.
- Extra Moist The banana bread in this recipe is deliciously moist with a tender crumb, just as it should be.
Bananas You want your bananas to be ripe with many black spots, this means they’re soft and full of sugars. You can peel them and freeze them to bake with at a later date too.
- To ripen in 1-2 days: place them in a paper bag (with other ripe fruit if you have any) and seal.
- To ripen immediately, bake at 300°F for 15-20 minutes. Cool before using in this recipe.
Eggs & Oil Eggs and oil add moisture to quick breads like zucchini bread and of course this recipe too.
In this recipe, we replace some of the oil with mayonnaise (which is made of… eggs and oil)! While this may seem like a weird ingredient, as you can see from the reviews, it is the perfect addition!
How to Make Banana Bread
Banana Bread with Mayonnaise? I know it may sound a little bit strange, but mayo is made with oil and eggs which are basically staple ingredients in any quick bread.
Be sure not to overmix or it’ll be dense and chewy instead of soft and moist.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl (per recipe below).
- Combine bananas (of course), mayonnaise and egg in a second bowl.
- Mix the two together just until moist (image below, your batter should be lumpy).
- Pour into a greased pan and bake.
I make a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake which is to die for. If you have never had a bread or cake made with mayonnaise before, you MUST try it.
Tips for Success
Bananas add flavor and moisture to this loaf as does the mayonnaise. A few more favorite tips:
- The batter is thick, do not add extra liquid.
- Avoid adding extra bananas, this can make the bread too dense.
- As with all quick breads, do not overmix. Stir just until incorporated.
- Do not overcook. Ovens can vary so check your bread at least 10 minutes before the time is up.
- Seal well once cooled (a freezer bag works well too).
You can add in pecan or walnuts or chocolate chips to this banana bread recipe.
For easy removal, line the loaf pan with parchment paper leaving about 3 inches of paper folded over the top of the pan.
How to Store Banana Bread
Banana bread should last about 3 days tightly sealed on the counter.
To FREEZE: You can either freeze the loaf as a whole or slice it and freeze the slices. To defrost a slice just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds or even just add it to the lunch box frozen, it’ll defrost in plenty of time for lunch!
Options and Add-Ins
- Banana Nut Crunch Muffins – reader favorite
- Blueberries – Toss with a bit of flour before adding to the batter to keep evenly distributed
- Peacans, coconut, dried fruits
Easy Banana Bread
- 3 medium bananas mashed
- ½ cup mayonnaise or dressing
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a bowl mix together mashed bananas, mayo and egg. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and pecans
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir just until combined. Note: The mixture will be very thick, do not over mix
- Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)