Garlic Bread is a classic side dish and perfect with everything from Baked Ziti to a juicy steak dinner or even Oven Baked Chicken Breasts! We used to buy garlic bread at the store until we realized how quick, easy and tasty it is to make it at home!
This garlic bread can be made just before serving or prepped well ahead of time and frozen.
Easy to Make (and Freeze)
Garlic bread is a favorite for everyone and I’ve bought the foil wrapped loaves at the grocery forever. Now I make my own and it tastes so much better (plus I make sure the garlic butter goes all the way to the edges)! Nearly every supermarket or corner store sells baguettes or loaves of fresh bread and they’re inexpensive.Making your own thick sliced homemade garlic bread is a snap and it makes the whole kitchen smell oh-so-good!
Feeling Cheesy? Toss on a little bit of parmesan (or cheddar) to create a cheesy garlic bread that goes with everything from Fresh Tomato Soup to a side for sopping up sauce in the bottom of your spaghetti bowl!
Craving garlic bread and don’t have a baguette handy? Making it with regular bread (or even leftover hot dog or hamburger buns) will do in a pinch, especially if you use a homemade garlic bread spread recipe!
How to Make Garlic Bread
The best kind of bread will be a thick baguette that can hold the spread or a delicious French bread. In the end you will want it to be hot and chewy throughout and a little toasty on the edges.
- Combine the softened butter with… you guessed it, minced garlic & chopped parsley. (Add in some Roasted Garlic if you have some).
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise using a serrated knife. Secure the bread on a kitchen towel to keep it from sliding around.
- Generously spread each side of the cut sides of the bread with the garlic butter. Don’t skimp, it will soak in!
Feel free to sprinkle some parmesan cheese on both sides. This is optional, but adds a little crispy, cheesy goodness to it! Then bake both halves until toasty!
Soft or Crisp Garlic Bread?
Kind of like a Baked Potato, I most often cook garlic bread without wrapping in foil as I prefer it to be toasted and lightly browned. If you prefer a softer bread, after spreading the butter, place the two halves back together and wrap the bread in foil. Bake about 15 minutes or until heated through.
As with most garlic bread recipes, this bread can also be grilled to serve alongside your favorite grilled chicken or steaks.
The best frozen garlic bread is always one you make yourself because you can make it just how you like!
- Add more or less garlic
- Swap the parsley for a pinch of dried oregano or dried rosemary
- Add your fave cheese or no cheese at all
Can You Freeze Garlic Bread?
Yes, most definitely!! This delicious homemade garlic bread can be frozen successfully! Simply make it, wrap in foil and then wrap with plastic wrap. Let it thaw naturally or remove the plastic wrap and bake it in a 300°F oven until it warm and the butter is melted!
More Great Breads to Try
- Easy Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
- Cheesy Pull Apart Rolls
- Quick Garlic Parmesan Crescent Rolls
Homemade Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf french bread
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine butter, olive oil, garlic and parsley until fluffy.
- Halve the bread lengthwise.
- Spread each side of the bread with garlic butter. Sprinkle with cheese if using.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden and toasted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!