This Chicken Wild Rice Soup is one of the best I’ve ever had! It’s loaded with a generous amount of turkey or chicken, has a great combo of veggies and it uses a wild rice blend instead of plain old wild rice. This recipe is flavorful, filling, and full of creamy goodness. It’s pure comfort food.
I love soups. Anyone who’s been to my house more than a few times knows that, more often than not, there’s a pot of soup cooking on the stove. It’s sort of always been that way—even when I was little I can remember requesting soup for dinner all the time.
And this soup in particular, WOW! I’ve always been a fan of Chicken Wild Rice Soup—it ranks in my top 5 or 10 soups ever.
When the winter chill starts to hit and my bones start to freeze, a bowl of this warm soup is all I crave. The thick, creamy vegetables and chicken do wonders to thaw me out.
Hey, do you want to know another really great thing about this recipe? It’s equally delicious made with turkey instead of chicken! So when you’re wrestling with what to do with all the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, remember this delicious soup recipe.
Vegetables – As with most soup recipes, sauté the aromatic veggies before adding them to the pot. It mellows them out and brings out the sweetness in all of the veggies.
Cream- Milk or half and a half can be substituted for heavy cream in this recipe (and will result in a lighter soup). Go for the cream if you don’t have any dietary restrictions!
Thickness- Occasionally this recipe comes out a little thick, just add a little chicken broth or milk if needed.
CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 12 Ounces Cremini Mushrooms Trimmed and Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 4 Carrots Peeled and Diced
- 4 Celery Stalks Diced
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 64 Ounces Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Better Than Bouillon-Chicken Flavor
- 1 1/2 Cups Wild Rice Blend
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Corn Thawed and Well Drained
- 4 Cups Chicken or Turkey Cooked and Cubed
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 8 minutes, set aside.
- In a dutch oven, cook onion, garlic, carrots and celery in butter until softened. Add cooked mushrooms & flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, thyme, Better than Bouillon, Wild rice blend, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, partially covered, until the rice is just tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer gently to blend flavors, 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love