Tender Drop Dumplings are the perfect addition to any soup or beef stew recipe. Creamy mashed potatoes are mixed with a few add-ins you likely have on hand. The result is a plump and tender dumpling on top of a leftover turkey soup.
I’m so excited to partner with Bob Evans to bring you this belly warming soup recipe!
We all know that mashed potatoes are the perfect comfort food and even more so when they become part of this comforting soup. In this recipe we’ve taken our leftover roast turkey and transformed it into the perfect cool weather meal!
Since this recipe uses leftover turkey, this likely means I’ve just finishing cooking a turkey dinner so I tried to keep the prep to a minimum!
We’ve made the dumplings using Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes to keep this recipe simple and quick. These mashed potatoes are just like homemade and have delicious flavor.
A Quick and Easy Soup
This recipe starts with onion and leftover turkey. I most often make Turkey Stock (or Broth) from my leftover carcass but you can use store bought broth as well. If you happen to have leftover gravy (or drippings) add them in to flavor the broth even more. I add a dash of poultry seasoning to almost every pot of turkey or chicken soup.
I add frozen veggies however, if you have leftover carrots, brussels sprouts or green beans, they can be added. Since they’re already cooked you’ll want to add them in the last 5 minutes so they don’t get mushy.
How to Make Drop Dumplings
These are different than a traditional German potato dumpling. These dumplings are pillowy soft and intended to be cooked right a pot of soup. The bits of starch from the dumplings help thicken the broth slightly while the dumplings themselves are flavored from the broth.
I love the addition of mashed potatoes to my drop dumplings and Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes make these a total breeze to prep. They’re perfect in this recipe, eliminating the need to make a whole batch of mashed potatoes, keeping this recipe simple and easy.
- Combine Bob Evans mashed potatoes, flour, baking powder and eggs.
- Mix until you have a thick dough. The dough shouldn’t be too sticky, add a bit more flour if your dough is very sticky.
- Scoop by heaping tablespoons into boiling soup, cover and simmer about 7-9 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked in the center and hold their shape. Remove from soup and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining dumplings.
To serve, place a few dumplings in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup overtop and enjoy.
Tips for Drop Dumplings
- The dough should be soft and not too sticky. It should hold together when scooped.
- Allow dough to rest for 10-15 minutes while soup simmers before cooking.
- Cook dumplings in small batches.
- If the dumplings seem mushy, they likely need to cook longer. They will be moist on the outside but tender and fully cooked on the inside.
- Do not overcook or the dumplings will fall apart.
Leftover Turkey Soup with Potato Drop Dumplings
- 1 package Bob Evans Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 ½ cups flour all purpose
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- 1 large egg
- Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add remaining soup ingredients and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine all dumpling ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well with a fork to form a dough. The dough should be fairly soft but not watery.
- While the soup is boiling drop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the top of the soup. Also to simmer until they float to the top, about 7 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and repeat with remaining dumplings.
- To serve, place dumplings in the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle soup overtop.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
More Mashed Potatoes Marvels
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bombs
- Loaded Mashed Potato Egg Rolls
- Simple Mashed Potatoes