Roasted Turkey Breast is an easy way to enjoy turkey without having to roast a whole turkey and best of all it needs under an hour to cook and comes out tender and juicy every time! The skin is deliciously crisp with olive oil and fresh herbs.
This makes a great Thanksgiving dinner recipe for smaller groups or for any time of year when you’re craving easy home cooked turkey (and it’s perfect for turkey sandwiches too)!
Thanksgiving Turkey Made Easy
While a whole turkey takes a lot of time, roasting turkey breast (or even a spatchcock turkey) is much quicker!
Ingredients for Roasted Turkey Breast
This recipe is incredibly simple and has lots of flavor!
- Turkey Breast: Start with a large boneless turkey breast. If you have a bone-in breast, this recipe still works you’ll just need to increase the cooking time (see note below).
- Olive Oil: Next rub the skin with oil, this helps it crisp up.
- Herbs & Seasonings: Finally fresh herbs (dried work too, if using dried, add them to the olive oil) and lots of salt and pepper.
That’s it. Fuss free.
We also love using this for simple turkey soups, hot turkey sandwiches or in place of chicken in recipes like chicken salad. It works for just about everything!
How To Cook A Turkey Breast
It’s so easy to make turkey breast like a pro!
- Brush it with a bit of olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.
- Roast until it reaches 165°F.
The method for roasting a bone-in turkey breast is the same as this boneless turkey breast, but the cooking time may increase depending on the size as the bone affects the way that heat is distributed throughout the meat.
Check the temperature with a meat thermometer, being careful not to hit the bone, it should read 165°F!
How Long To Roast A Turkey Breast
Roast Turkey Breast is incredibly fast to make compared to a whole turkey!
- Boneless turkey breast (about 3 pounds) cooks in about about 50 minutes.
- Bone-in turkey breast (approx. 6 lbs) will take 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hrs to cook depending on size.
Tips for Juicy Turkey Breast
#1. A Thermometer
If you don’t have one, I cannot recommend one enough. They are not expensive (under $20) and will not only make you look like a rockstar of a cook, but an inexpensive thermometer will ensure your meat is never dry or overcooked again! I use them for everything (especially leaner cuts of meat) from Pork Tenderloin to Oven Baked Chicken Breasts.
I love the kind that are left in the meat while it’s in the oven and you can keep an eye on it like this thermometer here (not opening the oven is a huge time saver).
#2. Start With a High Temperature
The second thing that makes this roast turkey breast amazing is starting the oven at a higher temp. This seals the juices into the meat right away to keep it from drying it out.
#3. Rest Before Slicing
It is important to rest a turkey breast roast (or any meat for that matter) before slicing. The juices raise to the outside of the meat during roasting. Resting it allows them to be redistributed throughout before you slice into it!
How To Reheat Roasted Turkey Breast
You can do this easily in a microwave, oven, or on the stovetop very easily! Just watch that you are heating it and not cooking further.
To keep it juicy while you heat it up, add a splash of turkey broth or chicken stock to the meat before you heat it up. It will taste like it just got roasted every time!
The Best Turkey Dinner Sides
- Homemade Creamed Corn – Easy and delish!
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- No Boil Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Dill Pickle Deviled Eggs – New twist on a classic.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – Everyone’s favorite side!
Roast Turkey Breast
- 1 turkey breast boneless approx. 2 ½ -3 ½ pounds or bone-in approx 5 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3 tablespoon fresh herbs chopped *see note
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Tie the turkey breast (if it is not tied or in a net already).
- Brush the turkey breast with olive oil. Generously sprinkle with salt, pepper and fresh herbs.
- Place the turkey breast in a small casserole dish and nestle onions (and extra herbs if desired) alongside the turkey.
- Roast the boneless turkey breast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and roast an additional 25-40 minutes until temperature in the thickest part reaches 165°F.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.