Instant Pot Chicken Broth is a great way to enjoy the last of your roast chicken or roast turkey. Making broth in a pressure cooker is SO easy, anyone can do it!
It’s so easy to get all that healthy, savory goodness with homemade soup recipes like Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. For this recipe, your instant pot is the real hero!
How to Make Chicken Broth in the Instant Pot
You can use either a chicken or turkey carcass for this broth.
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare with minimal work on your part. If you’re using small roasting chickens, you’ll need at least 2 carcasses. I simply freeze one until I have enough. If you’re using turkey, one should be enough.
Just start by breaking up the carcass so that it fits into the Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients and seasonings to the instant pot and fill it to the fill line with water.
- Seal the lid and set the instant pot to high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release (about another 30 minutes).
Strain the broth through cheesecloth and discard the bones, veggies, peppercorns, and herbs. Now you have a healthy, savory, homemade bone broth that can be used for so many great recipes!
Can You Cook Bone Broth Too Long?
Bone broth made in the instant pot is nearly foolproof as long as you follow the directions for proper pressure cooking the soup. Follow the appliance directions and find the method that works best for you!
How Do You Freeze Bone Broth?
Freeze homemade bone broth by pouring it into any size freezer bags.
- Quart size bags are perfect if you want some bone broth as a base for a sauce or single servings.
- Gallon-sized freezer bags work for larger amounts for a chicken soup recipe or a stew.
Be sure to freeze them flat so they defrost quicker and can be stood up (think like books) in the freezer, saving a ton of space! Don’t forget to label the bags with the date!
Soups to Make with Chicken Broth
- Turkey Soup – comfort food heaven
- Turkey Noodle Soup – all-time favorite soup!
- Lemon Chicken Soup – fresh and flavorful
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup – great with turkey broth!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – reader favorite!
- Chicken and Mushroom Soup – budget-friendly
Instant Pot Chicken Broth (or Turkey)
- leftover chicken carcass or turkey
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 carrots
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs fresh herbs including parsley, rosemary, thyme and/or sage
- water to fill line
- Break the carcass so it fits into the instant pot.
- Add remaining ingredients. Fill to max line with water.
- Seal the Instant Pot and select high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure (about 30 minutes).
- Strain broth through a cheesecloth lined colander. Cool and skim any fat.
If you don't have fresh herbs, add up to 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
Leaving the skin on the onion doesn't change the flavor but does add color to the broth.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!