Cheesy Chicken Casserole is easy to make and everyone loves it! Pasta shells are tossed with chicken, peppers, onions, and mixed into a creamy cheesy sauce. Finally, this chicken casserole recipe is topped with even more cheese and baked until melty and bubbly.
Serve it alongside a fresh salad and some Easy Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits for the perfect meal.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
If you’re looking for a weeknight dinner, cheesy chicken casserole is your answer. It’s quick to make and my family absolutely loves it!
This chicken casserole recipe is seriously simple and SO delicious making it the perfect weeknight meal! I love serving it with a fresh tomato or kale salad and some crusty bread or 30 Minute Dinner Rolls.
Easy Cheesy Chicken Casserole can be prepped in advance and kept in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it meaning you can make it tonight and cook it tomorrow! This easy chicken casserole can be adapted to use whatever you might have in your fridge; mushrooms, diced tomatoes, leftover Grilled Zucchini will all work well!
To cook chicken for casserole, I make poached chicken breasts but you can use rotisserie, or leftover Oven Baked Chicken Breasts! I use cream of chicken soup but cream of mushroom or celery work in this chicken casserole recipe too.
How To Make A Chicken Casserole
Chicken casseroles are a kitchen staple basically everywhere, usually topped with cheese. I often make a quick and easy 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole but I honestly love the cheesy sauce in this recipe and who doesn’t LOVE cheese? I sure do!
The steps to make this chicken casserole are pretty simple:
- Boil pasta al dente.
- Soften onion and peppers in butter.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and cheese. Stir in chicken and pasta.
- Bake until bubbly.
- Serve it with your favorite sides and enjoy!
How To Reheat A Casserole
Our family usually can’t finish a casserole, so we save some for lunch or even dinner the next day. To reheat it, just pop it back in the oven at 350 for about 15-20 minutes! If the sauce is a creamy sauce like a Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole, I usually add a dash of milk and cover before heating. If it’s tomato based, I add a small splash of broth or water.
If you are using the microwave to reheat the cheesy chicken casserole, add a splash of milk to the dish and stir it half way through cooking to keep it from drying out.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole – Easy!
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole (from Scratch)
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole – So creamy!
- Baked Chinese Chicken and Rice
- Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole with Turkey (or Chicken)
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice – Reader favorite!
Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups shell noodles uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 3/4 oz cream of chicken soup condensed
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese divided
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 oz mild green chiles
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cook shells al dente according to package directions.
Cook onion and red bell pepper in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt and chili powder.
In a large bowl combine soup, onion mixture, milk and 2 cups cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Mix well. Stir in chicken, pasta and green chiles.
Spread into a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)