Everything is better with bacon including our favorite ever BLT sandwich.
Made with bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes between two thick slices of toasted bread this sandwich is a hearty lunch option, a simple dinner and an all around favorite!
Why We Love this Sandwich
When running short on time or short on ideas this classic BLT sandwich is always a family favorite.
Made with layers of fresh and tasty ingredients, including lots of bacon, it is a go-to sandwich recipe in my house!
With just 15 minutes to make, it is the perfect last-minute lunch or dinner idea.
Part of what makes this sandwich so special is that there are really only a handful of ingredients: bread, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo! No wonder it’s so popular!
BACON Thick cut crispy bacon is the perfect bacon for this recipe. Cook bacon in the oven is an easy no-mess way to make crispy bacon!
If you don’t have bacon, you can use sliced ham, Canadian bacon, pancetta, or turkey bacon. Each provides their own delicious flavor for this recipe!
LETTUCE Iceberg, bibb, romaine…whatever lettuce you have on hand will work great in this recipe. For the perfect amount in every bite, I love to thinly shred the lettuce before adding it to my sandwich.
TOMATOES It goes without saying that you must add tomatoes to have a true BLT, but any tomatoes will do! Tomatoes provide a lot of great flavor in this recipe, so choose nice juicy ripe ones!
Beefsteaks are great because you only need a few slices for a hearty sandwich. Roma tomatoes are firm and full of flavor.
BREAD Almost any bread is perfect for BLT’s but thick, dense bread like sourdough and rye add extra flavor. Just be sure to toast until golden brown!
Other Delicious Additions
There’s a lot of variations to the BLT. Make a BALT by adding avocado or a BELT by serving with an egg in the middle! Or try these yummy variations.
Of course a thick slice of cheddar is favorite!
- Spicy: Turn these into a great twist on jalapeno poppers and add in some cream cheese and sliced jalapenos, green chiles, horseradish, or spicy mustard.
- Veggies: Slices of roasted veggies like eggplant and zucchini, coleslaw, onion, or sauerkraut.
- Protein: Thin slices of ham, prosciutto, chicken (turn it into a club sandwich), or sliced cheese!
How to Make a Perfect BLT
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Prep: Shred lettuce, slice tomatoes, and fry or bake bacon.
- Toast: Toast bread and top with mayonnaise.
- Assemble: Top one slice of bread with bacon, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes. Top with the other slice of toasted bread.
Cut on the diagonal and serve immediately.
What to Serve With It
For side dishes, I recommend the following equally amazing dishes that are perfect to round out your BLT extravaganza!
Fresh Tomato Soup pairs perfectly with any recipe!
Delicious Sandwich Recipes
- Monte Cristo Sandwich – ready in 15 mins
- Italian Sub Sandwich – great for a crowd!
- Turkey Sandwich – great for leftovers!
- Club Sandwich – 3 layers of bread
- Reuben Sandwich – my favorite!
Did you enjoy the Perfect BLT? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below to let us know how YOU make the perfect BLT!
How to Make the Perfect BLT
- 4 slices bread your favorite variety
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 tomatoes large, ripe
- 4 leaves lettuce iceberg, bibb or romaine
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
- Wash lettuce, dry and cut into thin shreds. Slice tomatoes into thick slices.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Toast bread until lightly browned, butter if desired and set aside.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- Top with bacon, tomatoes and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut in half and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!