Anytime is a perfect time for a BLT sandwich! Crafted with crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, and juicy tomatoes, this is a go-to for our family.
Serve it as a hearty lunch option, a simple dinner, and an all-around favorite!
Why We Love This Sandwich
- When running short on time or short on ideas, this classic BLT sandwich is always a family favorite.
- Made with layers of fresh and tasty ingredients, including lots of bacon, it is a go-to sandwich recipe in my house!
- With just 15 minutes to make, it’s the perfect last-minute lunch or dinner idea.
Ingredients for a Great BLT Sandwich
Part of what makes this sandwich so special is that there are only a handful of ingredients: bread, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo!
Bacon: Thick-cut crispy bacon is the perfect bacon for this recipe. Cook bacon in the oven for an easy no-mess way to make crispy bacon! If you don’t have bacon, you can use sliced ham, Canadian bacon, pancetta, or turkey bacon. Each provides its own delicious flavor for this recipe!
Lettuce: Use green leaf lettuce, iceberg, butter lettuce, or Romaine. You can leave them whole, but I love thinly shredded lettuce in my sandwiches.
Tomatoes: It goes without saying that a great BLT is made with the best ripe, juicy tomatoes possible. I love Beefsteaks because you only need a few slices for a hearty sandwich. Roma tomatoes are firm and full of flavor.
Bread: Almost any bread is perfect for a BLT sandwich; I find thicker breads hold up better. Think beyond basic white bread – try sourdough, rye, or a loaf of artisan bread.
Delicious Additions & Variations
There are a lot of variations to the BLT. Make a BALT by adding avocado or a BELT by serving with an egg in the middle! Or try these yummy variations:
- Spicy: Turn these into a great twist on jalapeno poppers and add in some cream cheese and sliced jalapenos, green chiles, horseradish.
- Mayonnaise: Add a little spicy mustard for a great sauce or try chipotle mayo.
- Veggies: Add slices of cucumber, coleslaw, onion, or sauerkraut.
How to Make a Perfect BLT
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Prep: Shred lettuce, slice tomatoes, and fry or bake bacon.
- Toast: Toast bread and top with mayonnaise.
- Assemble: Top one slice of bread with bacon, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes. Top with the other slice of toasted bread.
- Cut on the diagonal and serve immediately.
Did you enjoy the Perfect BLT? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below to let us know how YOU make the perfect BLT!
How to Make the Perfect BLT
- 4 slices bread your favorite variety
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 tomatoes large, ripe
- 4 leaves lettuce iceberg, bibb or romaine
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
- Wash lettuce, dry, and slce into thin shreds. Slice tomatoes into thick slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon in a single layer. Cook, turning occasionally, until crisp. Place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Place the bread in a toaster and toast until lightly browned, butter if desired.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- Top with bacon, tomatoes and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut in half and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!