Crock Pot Mac and Cheese is a family favorite recipe! Tender macaroni noodles smothered in cheese is one of our favorite comfort food dishes.
This easy mac and cheese recipe requires just minutes of prep and comes out of the slow cooker perfect every time!
Creamy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is my personal favorite comfort food recipe (although, what do you expect from a girl who served mac ‘n cheese at her wedding and totally skipped the prime rib!). It’s not completely from scratch, but it is completely delicious! To make it even easier, this extra cheesy mac and cheese is cooked in the slow cooker!
Some people wonder why you would cook mac & cheese in the slow cooker… there are lots of good reasons!
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese is perfect for camping or potlucks, basically anywhere you don’t have an oven to bake macaroni.
- No need to heat up the oven on a hot day.
- Can fill your oven with things like a 15lb turkey and stuffing and cook this on the side.
- Ummm, it’s freaking delicious (just scroll down and read the comments, you’ll see what I mean)!!
How to Make Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
This slow cooker macaroni and cheese takes less than 10 minutes to get into the Crock Pot and then it’s ready to go! Fast, easy and beyond amazing!
While I’ve tried several times to make a no boil mac and cheese (using uncooked pasta), I find that they never turn out quite as good as this recipe! Boiling the macaroni about 2 minutes less than indicated on your package (so it’s quite al dente) keeps it from getting mushy.
I prefer macaroni without evaporated milk or velveeta.
While some of the ingredients in this recipe may seem odd, they really make an amazing dish! Here’s the thing about cooking dairy in a slow cooker. A traditional cream sauce or cheese sauce doesn’t hold up well in the slow cooker, they tend to curdle and/or separate. Please don’t don’t let the addition of mayo freak you out. It’s good, I promise (read the reviews on this recipe below) … it just subs out some of the dairy. I usually use a light mayo type dressing.
I don’t make it very often because when I do, I can’t stop eating it. In fact, I wake up and eat it for breakfast too if I’m lucky enough to have any left! If you’d like to make it into an entree, feel free to add in some ham and broccoli or cooked chicken and leftover veggies!
How to Double Crock Pot Mac and Cheese:
I have successfully doubled this recipe in a 6QT slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours, stirring after 1 hour and 2 hours. (When stirring, try to do it as quickly as possible to keep the heat inside).
Note: Slow cookers can vary in temperature greatly! You may have to slightly adjust the time for your slow cooker. If your Crock Pot Mac and Cheese is done early, you can turn your slow cooker onto warm.
More Macaroni Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – The best ever!
- Pickled Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Cheesy Beef & Macaroni Casserole – Hearty and comforting, a perfect family meal!
- Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese! (Ready in about 10 minutes) – Quick!
- Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – Perfection in minutes!
Extra Creamy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup condensed
- 1/2 cup sour cream regular or light
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- Boil macaroni noodles according to directions to make them very al dente. (I cook them for at least 1 minute less than directed on the bag. Mine boiled for 5 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Serve hot.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Mac and Cheese Recipes You’ll Love