Chicken Salad is a simple and easy go-to lunch around here! A classic chicken salad recipe combines tender chicken with the perfect blend of flavors and add ins. It’s great served on a bed of lettuce, in a sandwich or rolled up in a tortilla for a delicious meal on the go!
How to Make Chicken Salad
This is a simple classic chicken salad recipe. I add mayonnaise, seasonings, celery (or water chestnuts), green onions and almonds. Water chestnuts add a delicious crunch! I always add a little greek yogurt not only to lighten it up, but it just adds a delicious tangy flavor!
If you’d like, layer up extra toppings like cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes… and build the perfect sandwich with your favorite toppings!
What Goes into Chicken Salad?
The great thing about chicken salad is that it can be changed up based on what’s in your fridge! Keep the ratios the same as the recipe below but swap out the add ins and seasonings…
- Sliced Grapes, 1/4 cup raisins & 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Dill, chopped pickles & a slice of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder, diced ham & shredded swiss cheese
- Cranberries, diced celery and 1/2 cup shredded apple (great on spinach!)
How to Cook Chicken for Chicken Salad
If you have leftovers, they are often seasoned which adds great flavor!
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last?
We keep our chicken salad in the refrigerator for 3-5 days (as long as the chicken is fresh the day you make it). Remember to refrigerate any unused portions quickly.
Can you Freeze Chicken Salad?
Sadly, mayonnaise doesn’t freeze well and that’s the base for the dressing in this recipe. If you’d like ready to go chicken salad, I’d suggest finely chopping the chicken and seasonings (water chestnuts freeze well too).
Freeze the diced chicken in single serving portions. When you’d like a salad, just combine the chicken and seasonings with mayonnaise and any extra add ins.
More Easy Lunches You’ll Love
- BLT Avocado Egg Salad – Reader favorite!
- Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap
- Salmon Salad with Capers – Low fat!
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Chickpea Salad – Make ahead!
- 20 Minute Broccoli Cheese Soup – Easy!
Easy Chicken Salad
- 2 cups chicken chopped & cooked, leftover or rotisserie works great!
- 2 scallions finely diced
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- ½ red pepper finely diced
- ⅓ cup water chestnuts chopped, or diced celery
- 2 tablespoons almonds chopped, optional
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Stir together mayonnaise, greek yogurt, scallions, dijon, lemon juice & salt/pepper.
- Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Serve on bread, in a wrap or on a bed of lettuce!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
More Recipes You’ll Love