Cheesy Bean Burritos are the perfect way to fill hungry bellies using pantry staples.
Soft flour tortillas are filled with seasoned rice, veggies, beans and of course lots of cheese. They’re are full of protein for the perfect quick meatless main dish!
Hearty Vegetarian Burritos
Veggie burritos are so yummy and oh so cheesy, your family will request them again and again!
With ingredients you likely have in your pantry – they’re perfect for when you haven’t had a chance to get groceries.The filling is both quick and flavorful making it great for busy weeknights.
Bean and cheese burritos make quick grab-and-go lunches or a filling afternoon snack before soccer practice!
BEANS When it comes to beans, black beans are a favorite for this recipe. You can swap the beans out for any you have on hand.
Try pinto beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, or even refried beans!
RICE Instant rice cooked with a bit of salsa takes just a couple of minutes to prep and helps to fill you up while adding flavor.
VEGGIES I use bell pepper if I have it but if you’re short on veggies, frozen or canned corn is great too!
CHEESE No burrito would be complete without a good dose of gooey cheese! My first choice is pepper jack but you can use cheddar or whatever else you have on hand.
Bean burritos really lend themselves to all kinds of fun mix-ins and toppings!
- No Beans? No problem! Double or triple the veggies and include your favorites. Mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini and corn are all great choices.
- Add ground turkey or beef and make beef and bean burritos.
- Jalapenos, avocado slices, chopped tomatoes or even your favorite taco toppings can be added.
- Add scrambled eggs to turn them into breakfast burritos.
- Swap out the rice for cauliflower rice
How to Make Bean Burritos
Just a few simple steps and dinner is served!
- RICE: Cook rice with salsa.
- FILLING: Saute veggies with black beans and add in seasonings (or taco seasoning). Simmer until thickened.
- ASSEMBLE: Fill tortillas with rice, filling and top with cheese. Fold in the sides and serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
These can be wrapped and served or baked in the oven with a bit of cheese before serving.
The possibilities are endless, add the same toppings you add to your favorite taco salad recipe!
- SAUCES: salsa, guacamole, mango salsa, or sour cream
- CRUNCHY: coleslaw or shredded lettuce.
- FLAVORFUL: sliced black olives, jalapenos or green chiles
- CHEESE: Any kind of cheese! Cotija, cheddar, or mozzarella.
To Make Homemade Frozen Burritos
These definitely work well as frozen grab and go lunches and are so much better than store-bought frozen burritos! They should keep a few months in the freezer.
To Make Frozen Burritos:
- Prepare as directed in the recipe.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Place in a zippered bag and labeled it with the date before freezing!
To Cook Frozen Burritos:
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat in the microwave 1-2 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole!
Yummy Meatless Meals
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
- Black Bean Tacos – quick & nutritious meal!
- Easy Lentil Shepherd’s Pie – savory vegetarian dish
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Vegetarian Chili – favorite comfort food!
- Tomato Pie– savory dinner pie
Did you love these vegetarian bean burritos? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 16 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 8 flour tortillas 8-inch
- Cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil until softened. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin and black beans. Cook 2 minutes more or until fragrant and heated through.
- Combine water, instant rice and salsa in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let rest 5 minutes undisturbed.
- Divide cheese over the tortillas. Divide bean mixture and rice mixture over tortillas.
- Fold in the sides and roll burritos. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
- To make this with long grain rice, combine 2/3 cup white rice, 1 1/3 cups water and 1/4 cup salsa in a saucepan. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- To bake burritos place in a 9x13 pan. Top with an additional 1/2 cup of cheese and bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To make frozen burritos, prepare as directed, wrap individually in plastic wrap or parchment and place in a labeled zippered bag
- To reheat, thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave 1-2 minutes or until heated.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)