Taco Salad is crispy, crunchy and colorful! Crisp lettuce is topped with a zesty seasoned ground beef, crunchy tortilla chips and all of our favorite taco toppings. Scope out your pantry and fridge for topping ideas and create a salad masterpiece!
Nothing beats a tasty taco salad for an easy weeknight meal or even a build-your-own taco salad bar when feeding a crowd!
How to Make Taco Salad
On the days we’re in a rush or I don’t know what to put on the table, taco salad is my staple! This simple salad recipe is one everyone enjoys and a favorite variation of Easy Ground Beef Tacos!
- Brown and season ground beef. Stir in beans.
- Wash lettuce and top with beef mixture and your favorite toppings.
- Scoop into bowls or plates and top with tortilla chips, sour cream, and salsa.
If you’d like to make a crispy baked tortilla bowl (like you’d get at a restaurant), they’re easy to bake at home!
To Make a Crispy Baked Taco Salad Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a flour tortilla with cooking spray (or brush it with butter or olive oil) and season with salt & your fave seasonings (cumin or a bit of chili powder are good).
- Place the tortilla in an oven proof bowl or a taco bowl makertaco bowl maker.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy!
Planning a party? A taco bar with a taco salad option is a great way to please everyone on your guest list, at every age and at any time of the year!
Taco Salad Ingredients
The beauty of this tex-mex inspired salad is the fact that you can customize it to what you have on hand or whatever your taste buds desire!
- I use lean beef but ground turkey or chicken will work too, or even juicy shrimp.
- I prefer spicing this dish up with my Homemade Taco Seasoning but store bought will do in a pinch!
- Black beans or pinto beans are great additions too.
- Romaine lettuce is a great healthy choice.
- Try Iceberg lettuce for a refreshing crunch.
- Make sure to chop or tear it into pieces that are big enough to hold the meat and beans!
- Cheese – I love using cheddar cheese but shredded marble, mozzarella or Monterey Jack would be delicious choices.
- Tortilla Chips – Pick your favorite flour or corn tortilla chip but be sure to add just before serving to retain that crunchy texture! Try using your favorite dorito chips instead to make this delicious Dorito Taco Salad version.
- Veggies – Add a delicious assortment of veggies like olives, bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, avocado or green chiles on top.
What to Serve with Taco Salad
Feeding a larger crowd? Add Spanish Rice or this zesty Cilantro Lime Rice to your menu! In keeping with the Mexican theme and to finish off the evening, try some dulce de leche, Mexican chocolate mousse or Easy Sopapilla Cheesecake for dessert!
If you want to keep your menu super simple, serve warmed soft tortillas on the side to create a quick taco or burrito at the ready.
More Delicious Taco Inspired Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – Just a few ingredients!
- Taco Soup – 30 minute meal
- Easy Fish Tacos – Quick family favorite.
- Beef Taco Casserole – Great for weeknights!
- Shrimp Tacos – Perfect grilled or fried.
- Beef Taco Pasta Skillet – Kids love this easy meal.
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef – Perfect for Tacos or Enchiladas!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning or homemade
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 6 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- toppings as desired olives, bell peppers, jalapenos, red or green onion
Brown beef over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Top with meat, tomatoes, cheese, avocado and desired toppings.
- Top each serving with tortilla chips, salsa and sour cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)