Taco Salad is a super quick family favorite that we make almost every week! Fresh flavors, easy to make and delicious!
Crisp lettuce is topped with taco seasoned ground beef and lots of taco toppings, cheese, and dressing!
This recipe is versatile so you can use almost any protein from beef to shrimp and any dressing!
Taco Salad Ingredients
The beauty of this TexMex-inspired salad is the fact that you can add what you love or use what you have on hand.
Taco Meat – We use lean ground beef (80/20) but ground turkey or chicken will work too, or even grilled shrimp. Season the meat with either a packet or homemade taco seasoning. (Homemade seasoning is easy to make with spices like paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano).
Lettuce – Romaine or iceberg lettuce is crunchy and holds up well to lots of toppings. We find a mesclun mix to be too tender.
Toppings – Whatever you put on a taco (and more) is great on a taco salad! We love shredded cheese (or Mexican cheese blend), bell peppers, green onions, avocado, leftover grilled corn, black olives, and cherry or Roma tomatoes.
Extras! – Crunch up a handful of tortilla chips (or tortilla strips) and sprinkle them on top. Make it a Dorito salad with crushed Doritos instead Try jalapenos or hot sauce and we always add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Taco Salad Dressing
We usually top this taco salad recipe with either sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, and/or guacamole.
- Classic – Sour cream and salsa is our go-to dressing for this salad. Easy peasy.
- Creamy – Try Avocado Dressing, Chipotle Ranch Dressing or Creamy Garlic Dressing. These will complement the ground beef and spicy jalapenos perfectly.
- Zesty – Cilantro Lime Dressing or Catalina dressing.
How to Make Taco Salad
Taco salad is a staple around here! It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish (especially if you have other hands in the kitchen prepping toppers) and is a welcome variation of ground beef tacos!
- Brown and season ground beef. Stir in beans if using.
- Wash lettuce and top with beef mixture and your favorite toppings.
- Scoop into a large serving bowl or plates and top with tortilla chips, sour cream, and salsa.
Take Out Fake Out!
Serve this taco salad in a tortilla bowl to make it just like your fave restaurant!
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. Spray a flour tortilla with cooking spray (or brush it with butter or olive oil) and season with salt & your fave seasonings (cumin or a bit of chili powder are good).
- 3. Place the tortilla in an ovenproof bowl or a taco bowl maker and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
More Main Dish Salad Recipes
Easy Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning or homemade
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 6 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup sour cream
- toppings as desired olives, bell peppers, jalapenos, red or green onion
- Brown beef over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add taco seasoning and ½ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl (or individual bowls). Top with meat, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, and desired toppings.
- Top with tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!