Tomato Avocado Salad is the perfect way to enjoy the bountiful summer harvest of ripe and ready avocados and juicy tomatoes! This salad is made with red and yellow cherry tomatoes (any tomatoes will do), creamy, nutty-flavored avocados and a tangy dressing that marries all of the ingredients! It is right up there with all the best summer flavors like fresh summer fruit salad or a great pasta salad recipe!
Not only are avocados in season this time of year, but they are also a powerhouse of nutrients and if you follow a low-carb or keto diet, they are one of the healthiest fats you can include!
How to Cut an Avocado for Salad
For this green avocado salad, you’ll need a few fresh and ripe avocados. You want ripe avocados that yield to gentle pressure but aren’t mushy.
- Holding the avocado in the palm of one hand, take a paring knife and start at the top of the avocado and slice straight down until the knife reaches the pit. Rotate the fruit in your hand and let the knife follow the seed in a circle until two halves are created.
- Using both hands, twist the two halves in opposite directions until they are separated. The pit will remain in one half of the avocado.
- Using the same paring knife, firmly tap the blade into the pit and lift the pit out.
- Using a spoon, from the largest end of each half, gently scoop out the flesh in one large piece and discard the skin.
Another method that I learned at a food photography class was to cut each avocado in halves or quarters and peel the skin off before cutting. Now you are ready create an amazing avocado salad recipe!
How to Keep Avocado from Going Brown in a Salad
Just like apples and bananas, an avocado will oxidize and turn brown when exposed to the air (unless you’re cutting and eating it within minutes like when making Avocado Toast). To keep your avocado salad pretty, here are a few tips!
- Don’t cut the avocado ahead of time (other ingredients including dressing can be made ahead of time)
- Prep the avocado last so it’s cut shortly before serving
- Add something acidic to the avocado. This will keep the cells from being exposed to the air and preserve the color.
- Acids: lemon juice, lime juice, or any kind of vinegar!
How to Make Avocado Salad
- Cut tomatoes, onions and cilantro.
- Following the method above, cut and dice the avocados. Squeeze fresh lime juice over them to keep them from browning.
- Add the remaining ingredients and salt & pepper to taste and mix very gently!
More Avocado Favorites Inspired Salads
- Avocado Pasta Salad
- Avocado Dressing and Dip
- Chickpea Salad
- Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Avocado Deviled Eggs
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped, or parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut tomatoes and onions. Set aside.
- Cut avocados in half, remove pits and dice. Squeeze fresh lime over avocados and gently toss to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and gently stir.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.