Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Mac and Cheese is a rich, creamy casserole that is truly a show stopper!
Not only is this creamy macaroni and cheese recipe easy to make it, has a special ingredient making it extra delicious!
This dish has so much velvety cheese in a quick homemade sauce that, once you try it, this is going to be the only baked macaroni & cheese dish you’ll ever need!
Homemade Mac n Cheese
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Hello, my name is Holly and I am addicted to Macaroni and Cheese. It is literally my favorite thing to eat on the whole planet! It doesn’t even have to be fancy, I love crock pot mac & cheese, stove top mac and cheese or even out of a little blue box.
Of all of the mac and cheese recipes, *this* little gem right here is like striking mac and cheese gold. It is definitely the best mac and cheese recipe ever and always gets rave reviews! Take it from me, I definitely should know!
How to Make Homemade Mac and Cheese
Making homemade macaroni and cheese (including this 5-star recipe) is surprisingly easy and quick!
This mac and cheese casserole starts with tender macaroni noodles that are slightly undercooked so they don’t get mushy when it’s baked.
About This Mac and Cheese Sauce
The sauce for this easy homemade mac and cheese is a classic roux based cheese sauce. Roux sounds very fancy but truthfully it’s just butter and flour cooked and then milk added so don’t let it scare you away!
The results of creating a roux based sauce means your macaroni and cheese is going luscious and velvety smooth every single time. This allows the cheeses to melt in evenly and perfectly for this casserole.
To add to the creaminess of this dish, I combine a little bit of milk and a little bit of light cream (I use a cream that is about 10-12%MF or half and half).
Now, this recipe has a special ingredient that is a little bit unconventional but makes it extra yummy… AND it is optional.
The addition of the cheddar soup makes the sauce a little bit extra velvety and just adds a little something.
mac and cheese with Velveeta, I personally prefer to make it without! The addition of the cheddar cheese soup to this recipe is something you definitely should try! (You can find it at your local grocery store with the other condensed soups or online here).
If you don’t happen to have cheese soup on hand (or if you just don’t want to use it), this baked mac and cheese recipe is still ridiculously great without.
You might be wondering what cheese is best for mac and cheese, and it’s one with lots of flavor!
I generally use a sharp cheddar in this recipe as I love the flavor however you can certainly use your favorite cheeses in this recipe too. Sometimes I mix up the cheeses and use a bit of gruyere, or even pepperjack for a little kick. If you have bits of cheese leftover, you can combine them all together in this easy homemade mac and cheese sauce.
I would suggest buying a block of cheese and shredding it yourself as pre-shredded cheeses don’t melt the same way as they have additives to keep them from clumping/sticking.
Making Homemade Macaroni and Cheese is not difficult but below are a few simple tips to make sure it turns out absolutely perfectly every single time!
Tips to Make Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Cook your pasta al dente (firm) as the noodles cook extra in the sauce and you don’t want them mushy.
- Don’t forget to salt your pasta water.
- While not everyone agrees with rinsing the pasta after cooking, in this particular recipe it stops the noodles from cooking and the sauce is created with a texture that pairs perfectly with the rinsed noodles.
- A sharper cheddar cheese will add a stronger cheese flavor.
- Pre-shredded cheeses contain additives to keep it from sticking together which affects the way it melts. The sauce is best if you shred your own cheeses.
- Allowing the baked macaroni and cheese to rest for a few minutes after baking will thicken the sauce.
- Most importantly of all… Do not over bake this recipe.
When cooking your macaroni noodles, cook them according to the package directions but you want them to be still firm. If your package says 6-8 minutes, just cook them 6… you get the idea.
I choose not to top this baked macaroni casserole with a bread crumb mixture but if you really like bread crumbs on your macaroni and cheese, by all means, add some!
How to Make a Bread Crumb Topping for Mac & Cheese
Combine the following and sprinkle over your casserole before baking.
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (Panko Bread Crumbs are best)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
This recipe makes an extra saucy creamy macaroni. Do not over-bake this recipe. You want it creamy and rich, over-baking will cause it to dry out.
I find that 20 minutes was perfect in my oven… note that the recipe will thicken slightly while standing.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
This Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Casserole is a show stopper! Not only is this mac and cheese recipe easy to make it has a special ingredient making it extra delicious! This dish has so much velvety cheese in a quick homemade sauce and once you try it, this is going to be the only macaroni & cheese you make!
- 12 oz dry macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup light cream (about 10-12% MF)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can condensed cream of cheddar soup (optional) 10.75oz
- 4 cups sharp cheddar , divided
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Whisk in flour and let cook 2 minutes while stirring. Slowly whisk in cream, milk, mustard powder and onion powder. Cook over medium heat while stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese & 3 cups cheddar cheese until melted. Add soup if using.
- Toss cheese sauce & macaroni noodles together. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 18-24 minutes or until bubbly. Do not over cook. Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size:
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 472 Calories
(Nutriton information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More recipes you’ll love