Homemade Tomato Soup is quite possibly one of the most perfect soup recipes you will find! Garden fresh tomatoes, red peppers, garlic, and fresh herbs are roasted to bring out their natural flavors, then blended to a creamy finish.
Fresh Garden Tomatoes
The best tomato soup recipe is simple and made with fresh ingredients. This is the best I have ever had (and once you learn how to make tomato soup, you’ll never buy canned again)!
Tomatoes for Soup
Making tomato soup from scratch is surprisingly easy. It needs just a few fresh ingredients and can be prepared in under an hour making it the perfect weeknight meal!
I use fresh garden tomatoes, any kind of tomatoes will work. I would suggest using the ripest, reddest ones you can find as they’ll have the best (and sweetest) flavor.
In a pinch you can use canned tomatoes, they won’t have the same flavor as roasted tomatoes but are still great. Use a portion of canned fire roasted tomatoes for extra flavor.
How Many Tomatoes in a Pound
Of course, this varies based on the variety of tomato but to give you a general idea here are the approximates. This recipe is forgiving so it is ok if there’s a little bit more or less.
1 lb of tomatoes is approximately (remember you need 3lbs for this recipe):
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 20 cherry tomatoes
How to Make Tomato Soup
This tomato soup recipe could not be more simple! I start with fresh tomatoes and of course the better your tomatoes, the better your soup will be!
- Cut diced tomatoes/peppers with aromatics, herbs, and seasonings.
- Roast until you see a bit of char on the veggies.
- Bring broth to a boil and add roasted vegetables.
- Blend using a hand blender until smooth & creamy.
Top with parmesan cheese or a drizzle of heavy cream if you prefer.
If Your Tomatoes Are Too Tart
This recipe calls for heavy cream which is optional. I personally don’t generally add the cream, however, sometimes tomatoes can be very tart (depending on the variety) so the addition of extra cream can help smooth out the flavor.
Other additions for a tart soup include a pinch of sugar, a couple of pats of butter or some coconut milk (make sure it’s unsweetened).
Such a great way to enjoy fresh seasonal tomatoes from the garden! Made with garlic, and fresh herbs like basil, parsley, and oregano, this roasted tomato soup recipe has such a fresh flavor!
A Healthy Option
Canned tomato soup can be high in sodium or have other additives however, this easy homemade tomato soup is garden fresh!
This recipe is made with a limited amount of salt, fresh and natural ingredients as well as low sodium chicken broth, so this tomato soup from scratch is both delicious and healthy!
What to eat with Tomato Soup: Keep in mind the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup combo which is definitely a favorite! Other favorites are:
- Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
- 30 minute dinner rolls
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
- Shortcut Garlic Parmesan Crescent Rolls
- Easy Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
This fresh Tomato Soup is a summery hug in a bowl! Zesty tomatoes, red peppers, garlic, and herbs combine to create, quite possibly, the best-roasted tomato soup I have ever made.
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 3 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs basil/parsley/oregano
- fresh basil & parsley for serving
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese optional garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and cut tomatoes (cut in half for smaller apricot sized tomatoes, cut larger tomatoes into quarters or eighths).
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs on a large pan.
- Roast 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 3-4 minutes or until some of the tomatoes get a little bit of char color on them.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, add tomatoes and fresh herbs. Using a hand blender, blend mixture until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream if using.
- Top with parmesan cheese, croutons or a drizzle of heavy cream.