Homemade Tomato Soup is quite possibly one of the most perfect comfort foods you will find in a bowl!
Garden fresh tomatoes, red peppers, garlic and fresh herbs are tenderly roasted to bring out their natural flavours throughout, then blended to a creamy finish. Simply delicious!
We often eat tomato soup with Grilled Cheese Roll Ups for dipping or top it with croutons and parmesan cheese!
This really is the best tomato soup recipe I have ever had and once you learn how to make tomato soup at home, you’ll never buy the canned stuff again!
Making tomato soup from scratch is surprisingly easy. It needs just a few fresh ingredients and can be prepared in under and hour making it the perfect weeknight meal!
How to Make Tomato Soup
This tomato soup recipe could not be more simple! I start with fresh tomatoes and of course the better your tomatoes, the better your soup will be!
- Cut the veggies into bite sized pieces. Combine with aromatics, herbs and seasonings.
- Roast in a very hot oven till you can see a bit of char on the veggies.
- Bring chicken broth, (or vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian option), to a boil. Add roasted vegetables and fresh herbs.
- Blend using a hand blender until smooth & creamy.
- Top with parmesan cheese or a drizzle of heavy cream if you prefer.
This recipe calls for heavy cream which is optional. I personally don’t generally add the cream however, sometimes tomatoes can be very tart (depending on the variety) so the addition of extra cream can help smooth out the flavor.
Such a great way to enjoy fresh seasonal tomatoes from the garden! Made with garlic, and fresh herbs like basil, parsley and oregano, this roasted tomato soup recipe has such a fresh flavor!
Is Tomato Soup Good for You?
Canned tomato soup can be high in sodium or have other additives however, this easy homemade tomato soup is garden fresh!
This recipe is made with a limited amount of salt, fresh and natural ingredients as well as low sodium chicken broth, so this tomato soup from scratch is both delicious and healthy!
What to eat with Tomato Soup: Keep in mind the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup combo which is definitely a favorite! Other favorites are:
- 30 minute dinner rolls
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Shortcut Garlic Parmesan Crescent Rolls
- Easy Kale Salad with Fresh Lemon Dressing
This fresh Tomato Soup is a summery hug in a bowl! Zesty tomatoes, red peppers, garlic and herbs combine to create, quite possibly, the best roasted tomato soup I have ever made.
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 3 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs basil/parsley/oregano
- fresh basil & parsley for serving
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and cut tomatoes (cut in half for smaller apricot sized tomatoes, cut larger tomatoes into quarters or eighths).
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs on a large pan.
Roast 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 3-4 minutes or until some of the tomatoes get a little bit of char color on them.
Bring chicken broth to a boil, add tomatoes and fresh herbs. Using a hand blender, blend mixture until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream if using.
Top with parmesan cheese, croutons or a drizzle of heavy cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Fresh Soups You’ll Love
- Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
- Split Pea Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Weight Loss Vegetable Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup