Steak Tacos are a filling and delicious addition to taco night!
Made with flank steak and an easy marinade, the beef is grilled to perfection and tucked into warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Don’t forget to add a squeeze of lime for some freshness!
Steak for Tacos
Steak tacos are an easy meal and a great variation from ground beef tacos! Add your favorite toppings.
Choose any cut of beef that’s intended for grilling. For this recipe, I prefer flank steak, which works great in dishes like Mongolian beef or fajitas. Skirt steak, sirloin, or ribeye are also excellent options (marinate sirloin or ribeye for only 1 hour).
Marinade for Steak Tacos
Tougher cuts of beef, like flank steak or skirt steak, will require marinating to tenderize. I create a simple marinade with fresh orange and lime juice for acidity and a bit of cilantro for freshness.
You can add extra seasonings to the marinade, like smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, or red pepper flakes.
How to Make Steak Tacos
These steak tacos are as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Marinate: Blend the marinade ingredients and marinate steak in a glass bowl or dish for at least an hour or overnight (don’t use metal).
- Grill: Grill beef (per the recipe below). Remove from heat and let it rest to seal in all the savory juices.
- Cut and Serve: Cut steak into 1/2-inch long strips and then cut the strips into small pieces.
- Serve warm into corn tortillas and add your favorite toppings (check out mine below)!
Tips for Tender Beef
- Marinate – Marinate the steak for maximum flavor. You can even marinate it overnight for a quick meal the next day!
- Rest After Cooking – Let the beef rest for a few minutes after cooking to lock in the juices.
- Cut Across the Grain (Important!) – Slice the steak across the grain, or the steak will be tough. Before you marinate the meat, you will see long muscle fibers in the meat, you want to cut across (and not with) the fibers.
- Cube the Beef While some recipes use strips of beef in tacos, I find cubes easier to serve and eat.
The best way to serve steak tacos is to have a variety of toppings available so guests can build their own! Add in a side of refried beans or a side salad for a great meal.
Did your family love these Easy Steak Tacos? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Easy Steak Tacos
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak or sirloin, or ribeye *see notes
- 8 small corn tortillas or flour tortillas, warmed
- toppings as desired
- ¼ cup fresh limes juice about 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice about 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup cilantro packed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add fresh lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the flank steak and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight. (If using sirloin or ribeye, marinate for a maximum of 1 hour). Remove the steak from the marinade and allow excess to drip off. Season with additional salt to taste.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Cook about 4-5 minutes per side (125 to 130°F for medium-rare).
- Rest steak for about 5-7 minutes before cutting. Cut steak into ½" slices across the grain and then cut into bite-sized pieces
- Serve in warmed tortillas with desired toppings such as pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and cilantro.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.