How to fold a burrito to make sure it stays intact keeping all of your goodies inside!
All the pros do it and you can too! Next time you have a taco or burrito bar at your house, you can keep it mess free! Serve with a side of cilantro lime rice for a meal that’s sure to impress.
What Tortillas Work Best for Burritos?
Naturally, flour tortillas make the best burrito shells, they’re more pliable and less likely to crack or break. A steamed corn tortilla will do in a pinch if you can’t/don’t eat flour tortillas, but you’ll have to ensure it stays moist. If you don’t heat corn tortillas, they can easily become brittle and crack.
With any tortilla, ensure it is warmed/moist before wrapping so it remains soft and pliable enough to fold. It saves you from the liquid leaking out through a cracked tortilla.
How to Fold a Burrito
Make sure your tortilla is pliable enough, either steamed or warmed. Lay it flat out.
- Place a scoop or two of filling in the upper center of the tortilla, lengthwise.
- For the first fold, fold one of the sides in, then repeat with the top and bottom.
- Then simply roll up the other side in to wrap everything in and you are finished!
This method is perfect when folding up our favorite chicken burritos or these easy slow cooker beef burritos!
Tips for Folding a Burrito
There are ways to secure your burrito from the contents falling out. One of the best ways is to sear it in a saute pan after it is filled. Searing it binds the edges together, especially if there is cheese inside. It keeps everything melted together, like a grilled cheese!
- Gently place the filled burrito in a hot skillet and let it heat up and bind the edges together by melting them.
- Flip over and sear on the other side. Easy peasy!
Another way is to wrap the rolled burrito in either parchment paper or foil.
To avoid messy ‘explosions’, don’t overfill your burrito! Make sure it’s filled just right so everything stays inside. If you need a second burrito, make one and eat it! Especially for breakfast burritos, no one wants to start the day with eggs and salsa all over!
Burrito Filling Favorites
- Easy Ground Beef Taco Meat – flavorful and easy
- Cilantro Tomato Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat
- Mexican Corn (Elote) – ready in under 20 mins
- Pork Carnitas Recipe
As my family love homemade burritos and tacos your tips on folding is a life-saver. Easier for keeping hands to hold cleaner, when a napkin is wrapped on one end. Thank you so much!
So happy they are helping, Sharron!
I agree with your points, great post.