Roasted cabbage steaks are one of the most delicious and healthy ways to enjoy this (often underrated) vegetable!
This cabbage steak recipe produces tender steaks with caramelized edges with a mildly sweet flavor that goes with any main dish!
They’re simple yet delicious and so easy to make!
Savory Cabbage Steaks
- Cabbage steaks are perfect for vegetarians, meatless Mondays, or a quick snack.
- Low in calories and high in fiber, cabbage pairs with your favorite savory herbs and seasonings.
- Double the recipe and reheat in an air fryer for a week-long supply of delicious cabbage steaks.
- A great alternative to fried cabbage, the oven does all the work. Just prep and bake!
Ingredients & Variations
Cabbage: I use green cabbage but this recipe works with red cabbage too. When selecting cabbage, choose full and heavy heads. You can even toss in other low-carb veggies like onions, fennel, or turnips to add extra flavor and variety.
Oil: Olive oil is what I use since I always have it on hand. Swap it for bacon grease for a smoky taste (and sprinkle with crumbled bacon if you have it).
Seasonings: Customize the seasonings depending on your main dish. Keep it simple, or take it up a notch by sprinkling homemade blends like ranch dressing, Italian seasoning, or lemon pepper.
Variations: Experiment with various seasonings or toppings to create your own cabbage steaks recipe. Sprinkle with parmesan or feta cheese or garnish with fresh herbs. For a crispy touch, sprinkle a few breadcrumbs over the cabbage steaks before baking.
How to Cook Make Cabbage Steaks
Roasting vegetables creates layers of flavor because they’re cooked at a high temperature, and using minimal fats caramelizes the outside creating a natural sweetness.
- Prep cabbage and brush with oil, season with salt and pepper (or other seasoning blends).
- Roast cabbage until the edges are golden brown!
What to Serve with Cabbage Steaks
Naturally, cabbage steaks make an impressive side dish to corned beef, but they can share oven space with baked chicken breasts or a perfect pot roast. Round out dinner with a clean, green salad with a tangy, red wine vinaigrette and an easy homemade strawberry mousse!
Did you make these Roasted Cabbage Steaks? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- fresh parsley or thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice across a head of cabbage to create ½-inch thick rounds. Brush each side with olive oil.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet (cut rounds in half to fit on the pan if needed). Roast for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Flip and roast another 15-20 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes if desired.
- Drizzle with butter and serve.
- Customize the seasoning by sprinkling herbs or spices before roasting.
- Adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of your cabbage rounds and your desired level of tenderness.
- Leftover cabbage steaks can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!