Roasted Cabbage Steaks are an utterly delicious way to give this green vegetable some star power at the dinner table. You will love the flavors that emerge from oven roasted cabbage.
When sliced and baked, cabbage turns fork tender, with crispy caramelized edges that add sweetness and a satisfying full-bodied flavor and texture. This easy side dish can be served with our favorite Meatloaf Recipe or alongside Oven Baked Chicken Breasts or a perfectly cooked pork tenderloin!
Roasting vegetables at a high temperature allows them to caramelize creating layers of flavor. Cabbage is low carb and keto friendly making it the perfect side dish!
In general, roasted cabbage is made with sliced heads of green cabbage. But roasted (or braised) red cabbage is delicious too! Cabbage is inexpensive, yet when you oven roast it, you can turn a humble veggie into something extraordinary.
How to Roast Cabbage
Baked cabbage steaks are so quick and easy to make, and cleanup is a breeze too. Here’s all you do:
- Slice a whole head of cabbage into ½ inch thick rounds.
- Brush each side with olive oil, and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast.
For some extra browning, you can pop then under the broiler for a couple minutes. Just before serving, drizzle your roasted cabbage steaks with a little melted or browned butter.
What to Eat With Cabbage Steaks
Baked cabbage steaks are the perfect savory side for corned beef, making for a pleasant deviation from boiled cabbage. They also go well with roast beef, roasted chicken, or any meaty, savory dish.
As veggies go, roasted cabbage is such a hearty, substantial dish that you could even serve it on its own, as an appetizer or snack!
VARIATIONS ON CABBAGE STEAKS
You can customize them to fit your tastes perfectly with one of these roasted cabbage recipes:
- Bread Crumbs: Buttery bread crumbs add a great texture crunch. Mix panko crumbs with melted butter in a skillet and lightly toast. Sprinkle over roasted cabbage slices.
- Herbs: Sprinkle with some fresh herbs, like parsley, dill, thyme or rosemary.
- Drizzle: Drizzle with a few drops of your favorite flavored balsamic vinegar glaze, freshly squeezed lemon, or melted garlic butter.
- Sweeten: Sprinkle some brown sugar over the top before popping roasted cabbage slices under the broiler for a minute, to bring out the sweetness even more.
More Roasted Veggies
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – simple side dish
- Roasted Root Vegetables – so healthy
- Roasted Green Beans – easy and delish!
- Roasted Tomatoes – Very quick (great with steaks).
- Roasted Butternut Squash – Sweet and flavorful
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon – favorites side dish
Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- fresh parsley or thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice cabbage into ½" thick rounds. Brush each side with olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet (cut rounds in half if needed). Roast 20-25 minutes. Flip and roast another 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Broil 1-2 minutes if desired.
- Drizzle with butter and serve.