Brown Rice has a delicious nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture. Brown rice can be cooked either on the stove top or, my favorite method, in the oven! Baking it in the oven next to the meatloaf or roast is insanely easy. Simply combine rice, water,butter and a sprinkle of salt, let bake, and enjoy! I purchase a long grain brown rice, not instant or short grain. It can be cooked on the stove top (directions below) but honestly, baked brown rice is so easy and comes out perfectly fluffy every time.
Tips for Making Brown Rice
To ensure success, follow these simple tips!
- Add enough water: By adding enough water or broth for the rice to absorb it will prevent uncooked rice from baking to the bottom of the pan or casserole dish (keep in mind brown rice needs more water than white rice)!
- No Peeking: Peeking lets steam out which increases cook time. The released steam can also interfere with the rehydration of the rice.
- Add heated water or broth: In the oven method, you’ll want to use boiling water or broth. Of course on the stove top, you can just bring it to a boil before adding the rice.
- Rest time: Allow the rice to rest once cooked (again, no peeking), this allows it to continue to absorb any remaining water.
To Bake Brown Rice
With only 4 ingredients and even fewer steps, this recipe makes the best brown rice with almost no effort at all!
- Combine all the ingredients in a casserole dish or dutch oven (per recipe below). Cover tightly.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked. Fluff with a fork and serve!
Brown Rice on the Stove Top
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup long grain brown rice, 1 tablespoon butter and a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer 40-50 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes covered. Fluff with a fork and serve.
How to Store & Reheat Cooked Rice
This easy oven-baked rice is so easy to store and reheat. Make a big batch to keep on hand for the week!
- To Store: Keep it in a tightly sealed container in the fridge until you are ready to use it again. It should last about a week.
- To Reheat: Simply put it in a pot or baking dish, add some liquid like water or broth, cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at 350°F until it is fully heated. You can also microwave or stove-top reheat it the same way!
Don’t forget to adjust the seasonings to make it like new again!
Other Delicious Ideas
Put some frozen veggies like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, or zucchini in with the rice. The frozen veg will cook and add a little extra moisture to the rice! Or, you can add some cooked leftover shredded chicken or cooked ground beef, onions and chopped tomatoes. With a little taco seasoning, you’ve got a quick and easy Mexican rice dish or burritos!
Simple Rice Sides You’ll Love
- Easy Rice Pilaf – fool-proof & fragrant dish!
- Cilantro Lime Rice – zesty & fresh combination
- Spanish Rice – festively flavored side!
- Garlic Butter Rice – ready in 20 mins
- Dirty Rice – staple New Orleans dish!
How to Make Brown Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish with a lid.
- Cover and bake 60-70 minutes, or until rice if fully cooked.
- Rest 5 minutes, fluff and serve.