This easy Tzatziki sauce recipe is a fresh and delicious Greek sauce or dip that complements countless meals. Tzatziki is great with grilled chicken, in wraps, or simply served as a dip for fresh veggies or pita bread!
Tzatziki is so bright and flavorful that it has easily made its way into all kinds of American cuisines, especially as a sauce for wraps and sandwiches, or as a dip for kababs.
Cucumber Yogurt Dip
So, what is Tzatziki? Even though tzatziki is made with seemingly simple ingredients like yogurt and olive oil, the flavors are seriously enhanced by the amount of garlic and lemon juice and freshness of the cucumber.
This is the best tzatziki recipe because it goes with nearly anything you have on hand, especially meats like beef, chicken, pork, and even fish!
How to Make Tzatziki Sauce
This tzatziki dip is a cinch to make and will keep about 5 days in the fridge. I have made this with both regular and Greek yogurt and my personal preference is regular plain yogurt.
- Peel, seed and shred a large cucumber and set aside. I use a cheese grater.
- Combine yogurt, olive oil, minced clove of garlic (more or less depending how strong you want it to be), lemon juice and salt and pepper. Gently stir in shredded cucumber last.
- Allow the flavors to blend in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
The bright and tangy flavor of tzatziki stands out best when it is served chilled!
What to Eat with Tzatziki
This homemade tzatziki sauce tastes great with so many different things, get creative and use as a veggie dip for cucumbers, carrots, tomato slices and even pita bread!
More Easy Dip Recipes
- 7 Layer Dip – Party favorite!
- Spicy Dill Dip – Great for veggies and crackers.
- Bacon Cheddar Dip – Classic flavor combo!
- Avocado Dip – Creamy and healthy.
- Buttermilk Ranch Dip – Great to dip appetizers.
- Easy Spinach Dip – Reader favorite dip recipe!
Greek Tzatziki (Yogurt Cucumber Dip)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Peel, seed and shred cucumber.
- Juice lemon and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cucumber.
- Allow flavors to blend at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve cold.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)