Creamy Cucumber Salad is refreshing and has been a summertime staple as long as I can remember. Crisp cucumbers and fresh summery dill all tossed in a simple sour cream dressing.
Perfect for any BBQ or potluck, this dish takes just minutes to make and is the perfect side dish next to grilled chicken or ribs!
Cucumber Salad is a delicious summery blend of cucumbers, dill and sour cream! As far back as I can remember, this Creamy Cucumber Salad has been served at every barbecue or picnic my family has hosted! One of the best things about this easy recipe is how quick it is to make!
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
This creamy cucumber salad starts with fresh crisp cucumbers. While it’s optional, I sometimes scrape out the seeds of the cucumbers to keep the salad from getting watery. This step is totally optional and if you’re using smaller cucumbers, it’s not necessary to scrape them.
Adding white onions to this cucumber salad adds great flavor. When choosing onions for this recipe, you’ll want the onion with the white papery skin (not the yellow skin) as they’re a little bit milder. Thinly slice the onion and soak it in cold water while preparing. This takes off a little bit of bite from the onion.
We’ve always made the dressing for this cucumber salad has always been made with sour cream, a dab of mayonnaise and a hint of vinegar for some tang. In most other applications, I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream (like on my baked potatoes or to top my favorite chicken fajitas) and it works wonderfully in this recipe. You can use either but Greek Yogurt is loaded with protein so if I have it I use that!
If you prefer a Cucumber Salad with a Vinegar Style Dressing, you can simply replace the dressing in this recipe with:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper
More Fresh Salad Recipes
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato SaladA blend of juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and fresh herbs tossed in a creamy dressing.
- Cucumber Bruschetta – A delicious salad to spoon over crisp garlic’d bread.
- Chickpea Salad Chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes and peppers in a simple dressing.
- Citrus Shrimp & Avocado Salad Pan-seared citrus-flavored shrimp, creamy avocado, and the crunch of sliced almonds.
- Cucumber Avocado Salad Fresh cucumbers, rich creamy avocados and red onion tossed in a simple dressing.
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad Our favorite southwestern inspired salad with black beans, peppers and a hint of cumin!
- Green Bean Tomato, Onion and Basil Salad Thinly-sliced fresh basil added at the end makes this Green Bean, Tomato, Onion, and Basil.
CREAMY CUCUMBER SALAD
- 2 long english cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- Optional: 1/3 cup sliced white onion
- Peel the cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds if desired and slice into 1/4″ slices.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and toss with cucumbers.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)