Creamy Cucumber Salad is a refreshing summertime staple at any picnic, barbecue or potluck. Crisp cucumbers and fresh summery dill all tossed in a simple sour cream dressing.
This easy recipe is made in a snap with ingredients that are probably already in the kitchen. It takes just minutes to make and is the perfect side dish next to grilled chicken or barbecue ribs. Especially with a side of grilled corn on the cob!
What’s in Cucumber Salad?
Cucumber Salad is a delicious summery blend of cucumbers, dill, and dressing! With a dressing made of sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, and vinegar, you’ve got the basics down! It’s just seasonings and a dash of sugar from there!
I prefer long English cucumbers for this recipe as they are thin skinned and don’t require peeling (although you can peel them if you prefer).
If using regular field cucumbers, the skins can be tough so I’d suggest peeling them or at least peeling some strips. The seeds on field cucumbers are larger so I often cut them in half and scrape the seeds out to keep the salad from getting watery.
ONIONS: White onions are optional but add great flavor to this cucumber salad. Pick onions with the white papery skin (not the yellow skin) as they’re a little bit milder. Thinly slice the onion and soak it in cold water while preparing the salad to take off a little bit of bite from the onion.
For a heartier version, stir in some shredded cabbage. Scoop it into a wrap for a quick and refreshing vegetarian lunch!
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
This creamy cucumber salad starts with fresh crisp cucumbers.
- Peel the cucumbers if desired and seed if using field cucumbers.
- Slice into ¼ inch pieces.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and gently stir in the sliced cucumbers.
Refrigerate one hour before serving. Garnish with chopped dill.
TIP: While it’s optional, scraping out the seeds of the cucumbers will keep the salad from getting watery. If using smaller cucumbers, it’s not necessary to scrape them.
Dressing: Creamy or Vinaigrette
I’ve always made a creamy dressing for this cucumber salad with sour cream, a dab of mayonnaise and a hint of vinegar for some tang.
If you prefer a Cucumber Salad with a Vinegar Style Dressing, you can simply replace the dressing in this recipe with:
- 1/3 cup white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- salt & pepper
How Long Will it Last in the Fridge?
Creamy Cucumber Salad will last several days as long as it is kept cold and covered. It’s best when it’s fresh but it’s easily refreshed. Try adding a few more crunchy cucumbers or even some chopped white onions!
To Make Ahead
This recipe can be made 4 or 5 hours in advance for the best flavor, this way the cucumbers stay crispy! If you’d like to make it further ahead, slice the cucumbers and onions if using and toss with the dressing just before serving.
More Cucumber Favorites
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad – juicy tomatoes & crisp cucumbers
- Cucumber Bruschetta – delicious over crisp garlic bread!
- Chickpea Salad – made with a simple dressing
- Citrus Shrimp & Avocado Salad – delicious creamy citrus flavors!
- Cucumber Avocado Salad – fresh, rich ingredients!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 long English cucumbers
- Optional: 1/3 cup sliced white onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- Peel the cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds if desired and slice into 1/4″ slices.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and toss with cucumbers.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)