This restaurant quality Lamb Gyro Recipe are so easy to make, anyone can enjoy them from the comfort of home! Lamb meat is thin sliced and layered in pita bread with homemade tzatziki sauce and loaded with fresh vegetables.
This easy gyro recipe is a delicious and filling lunch idea! To round out your meal, try pairing the gyros with a Greek quinoa salad or a delicious Greek pasta salad. Or, even easy home fries perfect to dip in the extra gyro sauce!
What is a Gyro
Gyros originate from Greece and are a sandwich made with pita bread and gyro meat, topped with fresh toppings and a delectable gyro sauce.
Traditionally gyro meat is made with lamb that is grilled on a vertical spit of stacked meat slices. The meat is then cut off and used in lamb gyros. In the US, ground meat is used most often. You can also purchase store-bought cooked deli lamb meat and reheat before serving.
This recipe is sure to become a favorite! Made with soft pita bread loaded with lamb meat, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and feta cheese all topped with a homemade Tzatziki sauce, what is not to love!
How to Make Gyros
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Perfect for any home chef to tackle, just follow the simple instructions for the best tasting homemade gyro recipe:
- Prep toppings and tzatziki sauce.
- Reheat deli meat or prepare ground lamb gyro meat (see recipe below).
- Add meat and toppings to pita bread and serve.
With all of the toppings ready before you start cooking, you can assemble the gyros, top with sauce, and enjoy immediately. Yum!
How to Make Gyro Meat
For this recipe we used pre-cooked gyro meat from the deli, but you can also make homemade gyro meat following the recipe. Once cooked, thinly slice and pile onto your pita bread and top with your favorite toppings!
Either way, this classic greek recipe is absolutely delicious. It totally hits the spot and feels like you are in a restaurant.
Other Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love:
- Monte Cristo Sandwich – a levelled-up grilled cheese!
- Chicken Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Club Sandwich – classic lunch idea!
- Chicken Wraps Recipe
- Crispy Chicken Sandwich– better than fast food!
Lamb Gyro Recipe
- 1/2 pound cooked gyro meat deli
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 2 slices pita bread
- 2 Tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 Campari tomato sliced
- 1/3 cup lettuce chopped
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- Tzatziki sauce
Homemade Gyro Meat
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 onion grated on small holes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oil for cooking
- Toast the pitas in a toaster or oven until heated (or use cold bread).
- Slice toppings and prepare tzatziki sauce.
- Cut the gyro meat into thin strands. In a skillet, brown the gyro meat with oil.
- Add meat to pita bread and top with desired toppings.
How to Make Homemade Gyro Meat
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients lamb gyro then shape the meat into a thin patty.
- Heat oil in a skillet, once hot add the patty.
- Cook until browned, flip the patty and cook on the other side.
- Once cooked, break up the meat into thin long strands and serve.