This is an easy side dish we make all year long and one of my all time favorite salads!
This Greek salad recipe is packed full of fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, crisp bell pepper, feta cheese, and olives, and dressed in a quick zippy vinaigrette.
It makes a great lunch or is perfect served alongside almost any meal.
A Favorite Side Salad
- Since there are no lettuce leaves to wilt, Greek salad is one of the best picnic and potluck salads; it holds up so well!
- Bulk up Greek salad by adding diced potatoes or your favorite cooked and chilled pasta like rotini, penne, or macaroni shells. Or make it a light dinner by adding chopped salami, shredded chicken, or shrimp!
- Meal prep salad bowls for a week of nutritious and low-calorie lunches by scooping Greek salad onto a bed of Romaine lettuce, quinoa, orzo, garbanzo, or black beans.
Greek Salad Ingredients
Vegetables – Fresh chopped vegetables are the base of this recipe.
- Tomatoes are a staple in this salad. Use whatever you have that’s fresh and juicy. If making ahead, I prefer Roma tomatoes or grape tomatoes as they hold up well in the fridge.
- Cucumbers and bell pepper bring crunch and freshness. We use green bell pepper but add whatever color you’d like. There is no need to peel the cucumber.
- Red Onion add flavor to this salad. To make the flavor of red onion a bit milder, soak the slices in cold, salted water to neutralize them a bit.
Olives – Kalamata olives add the perfect flavor to this recipe. If you aren’t a fan, you can leave them out of this recipe or try swapping them for black olives, green olives, or even capers!
Feta Cheese – Greek salad isn’t the same without cheese. Traditionally feta cheese is served in a large slice on the salad however we like to crumble it to get the salty flavor in every bite.
Greek Salad Dressing
Greek salad dressing can (and should) be very simple, this allows you to really taste the fresh veggies.
A very simple mixture of oil, red wine vinegar, and fresh lemon juice with a sprinkle of oregano is all you need. If you have a bottle of Greek salad dressing you can use that too but in this mixture, we prefer the simple fresh dressing.
Feeling Fancy? If you have fresh herbs on hand including oregano, parsley, or fresh dill, sprinkle a little bit on top. Fresh herbs really can take this dish to the next level in flavor.
How to Make Greek Salad
Even Panera can’t compare to this quick and easy dish!
- Chop the vegetables into large chunks.
- Place the dressing in a jar and shake well (per the recipe below).
- Add feta & garnish with parsley, if desired.
Storing Greek Salad
Keep leftover Greek salad in a covered container for up to 4 days. Add some fresh veggies and a sprinkle of feta cheese to make it as good as new!
Fresh Veggie Salads
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad – light & flavorful
- Fresh Summer Salad – loaded with veggies
- Loaded Cauliflower Salad Recipe – low carb but high flavor!
- Zucchini Salad – fresh summer flavors!
- Broccoli Salad – a 5 star recipe
Did you enjoy this Greek Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 5 Roma tomatoes chopped, about ¾ lb
- 1 long English cucumber chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced or diced
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives (or black olives)
- 4 ounces feta cheese cut or crumbled
- parsley for garnish chopped, optional
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ lemon juiced, about 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch sugar optional
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well or shake in a jar.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, red onion, and olives.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Add feta cheese and garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This is a great recipe thank you for sharing took it as a potluck
P.S all your recipesare great thank you
I am so glad you are enjoying the recipes Lady Di!
I love Greek salad, but my wife will not eat cucumber, any pepper, olives or feta cheese! Any suggestions for this chief cook and bottle washer in our home?
You might like to try our tomato salad and add some feta, olives and cucumbers to just your portion!
Delicious! Thanks love your recipes!!
Excellent Greek salad! Dressing is great! I will definitely make again.
Great Greek Salad! Loved it
You are so very welcome Josie!
Best Greek salad this side of Athens! Thank you Holly for another winner!
Thank you, Sherry! So happy you enjoyed this recipe ❤️
So good! I’ve already purchased more cherry tomatoes to make a second batch. Each recipe I’ve tried on pennies has been a huge hit. Absolutely love your recipes.
I’m on NSNG (no sugar, no grain) basically a ramped-up version of keto so I just eliminated the sprinkle of sugar in the dressing and it was still delicious!
I am so happy to hear you loved this recipe Mary!
This salad is delicious! My husband and I make a meal out of it with cornbread. It is so healthy and also very filling.
Great idea, Betty! So glad you enjoyed it.
Absolutely perfect, wouldn’t change a thing thanks for sharing!!
You are very welcome Ladenna! So glad you love the Greek salad!
This salad is right up my alley. Could you add some prosciutto and/or salami to make it more substantial as a dinner dish?
Oh definitely! I think that would be delicious, Kandice.
I don’t usually like greek salad all that much, but made this for my mom today for lunch, and she loved it! I tried some myself and had seconds. It is very simple and delicious. I only added about an eighth of a large red onion, and finely diced it because it is so strong- just my personal preference. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!
You’re very welcome Sarah! So glad you love the salad!
How big is a serving?
Serving size will vary based on the size of your vegetables. The nutrition information is an estimate for 1/8th of the recipe using medium sized vegetables.
2nd time .Defiantly better next day.i prepare dressing day before . This is a keeper
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.
Just love your easy to make recipes.
Thank you so much Shirley!
Seriously one of the best salads I have ever made. Love this recipe.
Thanks so much Brittany! Glad you enjoyed :)
perfect …. bravo.
Looks like a recipe I’ve been waiting for.
You aced these Greek salads, Holly! We LUV Greek dishes, and these salads are not only delicious, but also healthy, as are most Greek dishes are. The only thing I would do differently (just b/c we like it) would be to add in a little fresh dill. Thank you :-)
That sounds like a great addition Angelina! Especially in the summer, dill is so fresh and tasty!