Greek meatballs are oven-baked to tender and juicy perfection and absolutely loaded with flavor.
Inspired by meatballs from a family at our local farmer’s market, the secret to the great flavor is in using fresh seasonings like mint and lemon zest. It is the perfect appetizer or makes a great meal for a family dinner.
Why We Love This Recipe
Greek meatballs can be added to so many different dishes so get creative. Serve them as an appetizer with tzatziki or wrap them in a pita with fresh vegetables as a meal.
Unlike traditional Greek Kaftedes, (which are deep-fried) these are oven-baked.
These use a combination of ground beef which I usually have on hand and either pork or lamb. The can be made all beef if you’d prefer.
How to Make Greek Meatballs
These juicy meatballs are so simple, the herbs and seasonings are what set these apart from traditional meatballs!
- Combine milk and panko and let it sit for 5 minutes (per recipe below).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and shape them into 20 meatballs.
- Bake until meatballs are cooked through and serve.
For the best, juicy meatballs, the outside should be browned and the temperature should read 165°F in the middle.
Variations & Serving Suggestions
Greek meatballs are full of flavor and pair well with light flavored sides and fresh vegetables. Serve with lemon wedges and fresh herbs.
- Serve as an appetizer with a bright and tangy garlic lemon aioli or tzatziki for dipping
- Wrap in a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and hummus.
- Drizzle with Tahini Sauce and serve with rice.
These meatballs taste great alongside simple sides:
- Greek Salad
- Cucumber tomato salad
- Easy Greek pasta salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Greek Quinoa Salad
The best way to store leftover Greek meatballs is to keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should last 3-4 days.
They also freeze really well either before or after baking. Keep in a freezer bag or airtight container and labeled with the date. Simply take out as many needed for a quick appetizer, soup, or sandwich!
More Meatball Meal Ideas
- Easy Meatball Recipe – classic all-purpose Italian meatballs
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs – ultimate weeknight dinner
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Meatballs – crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside
- Turkey Meatballs – flavorful and great for pasta or meatball subs
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs – a family favorite!
- Meatball Pasta Bake – a delicious casserole
- Chicken Meatballs – freezer friendly
Did you enjoy these Greek Meatballs? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground lamb or pork
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- feta, red onion, chopped mint, diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a pan with foil and place a rack on top of the foil.
- Combine milk and panko bread crumbs. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Divide mixture into 20 meatballs.
- Roll and place on prepared pan. Bake 20-22 minutes or until browned and meatballs are cooked through.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)