Hummus is a simple and inexpensive dip that requires no cooking. This is easy dip is perfect for snacking or parties.
What Is Hummus?
Hummus is a garbanzo (chickpea) dip with roots in the Middle East. Hummus ingredients are few and simple including garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) and tahini, seasoned with olive oil, lemon, and garlic.
The chickpeas are blended with the other ingredients until smooth, perfect for dipping!
Tahini is a paste (almost like nut butter) made of sesame seeds. You can usually find cans or jars of tahini in the international foods section of your grocery store (or of course on Amazon). Much like natural peanut butter, tahini separates into an oil layer at the top, and dense solids at the bottom so you will need to mix it up before it is ready for use in this recipe.
How to Make Hummus
This is the best hummus recipe I’ve ever had and it requires only requires a blender – no pots and no cooking! Here’s all you do:
- Open can or cans of garbanzo beans.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth drizzling in cold water as needed.
- Place in a bowl, drizzle with additional olive oil, sprinkle with cumin, and garnish with parsley and paprika.
Vary the flavors by including sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers or spinach, feta cheese, roasted garlic, Herb Basil Pesto, or other favorites!
If you’d like smoother hummus, you can peel your chickpeas. If we’re having guests, I sometimes do this but for the most part, I don’t find it makes enough of a difference to bother as it can be time-consuming.
What to Eat with Hummus
This easy dip is traditionally served with pita bread, but everything you can dip goes well with garlic hummus. Pita wedges or pita chips, breadsticks, or sticks of celery, carrot, sliced peppers, or even Greek meatballs are also great to serve with homemade hummus.
Hummus wraps can be made by spreading it into a pita and adding shredded romaine lettuce, fresh tomato, red onion, and feta cheese.
Can you Freeze Hummus?
This is the best hummus recipe for freezing. Just load it into freezer-safe containers, leaving an inch for expansion. It will keep in the freezer for four months. Be sure to allow several hours for it to thaw in the refrigerator.
More No Bake Dips
- 7 Layer Dip – make ahead
- Spicy Dill Dip– easy and delicious
- Easy Spinach Dip – Classic spinach dip recipe
- Bacon Cheddar Dip
- 4 Ingredient Dill Pickle Dip – So good!
- Quick & Easy Chocolate Hummus – a healthy dessert dip
- 15.5 ounces garbanzo beans
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ lemon juiced, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- olive oil and parsley for garnish
- Fill a small measuring cup with ice and add water. You'll need about ¼ cup of really cold water.
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor except water.
- Pulse a few times to get the blending started, scraping the sides as needed. Drizzle in the ice water a bit at a time (about ¼ cup or so) until the mixture is very smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil and garnish with parsley and a sprinkle of paprika or cumin.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Is Hummus Healthy?
Hummus is one of the healthiest snacks you can imagine. High in fiber and unsaturated fats, hummus is part of the heart-healthy Mediterranean diet. The garbanzo beans in hummus contain calcium, folic acid B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, phosphate and zinc.