No need to wait for the county fair to indulge in chili cheese fries, they’re super easy to make at home!
Crispy fries are loaded up with a super quick stovetop chili, lots of cheese, and our favorite toppings! Short on time? We’ve got you covered, find our fave shortcuts below!
CHILI This super easy recipe starts with a quick stovetop chili. Ground beef is simmered with kidney beans, a rich tomato sauce, and seasonings.
FRENCH FRIES The chili is scooped over a pile of hot, crunchy French fries. Use baked fries, frozen or even air fryer fries. Skinny, curly fries, or steak fries—the choice is yours!
CHEESE Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream make this the perfect appetizer for dipping!
How to Make Chili Cheese Fries
Chili cheese fries are a savory treat that’s ready in no time.
- Make Chili: Brown beef & onions, add tomato sauce and seasonings, and simmer.
- Make Fries: While chili simmers, prepare fries according to package directions, or whip up a batch of crispy oven fries. Set them aside, but keep them warm in the oven.
- Load ‘Em Up: Divide the hot fries over serving plates and top with chili. Add toppings and serve immediately.
Time Saving Swaps
Fries – swap homemade fries for frozen fries of any variety. Use the air fryer to make it fast!
Chili – use leftover chili to make this recipe fast (or canned chili in a pinch).
Cheese – this is one recipe where pre-shredded cheeses work perfectly!
For a little bit of a healthy twist, use sweet potato fries, turkey chili, and low-fat cheese.
Swap chili for sloppy joe mix (or lentil sloppy joe mix for a veggie version).
Trade out the chili for homemade taco meat.
More Game Day Appetizers!
- Blooming Onion Bites – with dipping sauce
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Confetti Corn Dip – creamy, crunchy, & colorful!
- Shrimp Cocktail – the perfect appetizer
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Soy Ginger Steak Bites – so tender and juicy
- Homemade Salsa – restaurant style
- Chili Cheese Dogs – a crowd favorite
- Homemade Poutine – a Canadian Classic
- Garlic Parmesan Fries – gourmet!
Did you make these Chili Cheese Fries? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Chili Cheese Fries
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper finely chopped
- 15 ounces kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups hot cooked french fries about 32 ounces frozen
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream for topping
- green onions chopped
- tomatoes diced
- Cook fries according to recipe or package directions (we love this baked fries recipe).
- In large skillet brown ground beef, onions, and bell pepper until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in remaining chili ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or until the stock has cooked down and the chili sauce has thickened.
- Divide fries over 4 plates. Top with hot chili and cheese. Add additional toppings as desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This recipe is a tasty chili great alone or with fries. I am making it again today.
I’m so glad to hear you love this recipe Mai!
Guessed right that this would be a great meal to have while watching football on TV! I will definitely use the chili recipe again – even without serving with fries!
I will take any excuse to serve up some chili cheese fries! So happy you loved it too, Ali.
I have never had chili cheese fries before but if I had known they tasted this good I made them for supper last night and they were such a hit! I went a little heavy on the red pepper flakes because we like it a bit spicier! But oh so good!
So glad you loved these Samantha, I’m with you, I like a little heat too!