No need to wait for the county fair to indulge in chili cheese fries, they’re super easy to make at home!
Crispy fries are loaded up with a super quick stovetop chili, lots of cheese, and our favorite toppings! Short on time? We’ve got you covered, find our fave shortcuts below!
CHILI This super easy recipe starts with a quick stovetop chili. Ground beef is simmered with kidney beans, a rich tomato sauce, and seasonings.
CHEESE Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream make this the perfect appetizer for dipping!
How to Make Chili Cheese Fries
Chili cheese fries are a savory treat that’s ready in no time.
- Make Chili: Brown beef & onions, add tomato sauce and seasonings, and simmer.
- Make Fries: While chili simmers, prepare fries according to package directions, or whip up a batch of crispy oven fries. Set them aside, but keep them warm in the oven.
- Load ‘Em Up: Divide the hot fries over serving plates and top with chili. Add toppings and serve immediately.
Time Saving Swaps
Fries – swap homemade fries for frozen fries of any variety. Use the air fryer to make it fast!
Chili – use leftover chili to make this recipe fast (or canned chili in a pinch).
Cheese – this is one recipe where pre-shredded cheeses work perfectly!
Trade out the chili for homemade taco meat.
More Game Day Appetizers!
- Blooming Onion Bites – with dipping sauce
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Confetti Corn Dip – creamy, crunchy, & colorful!
- Shrimp Cocktail – the perfect appetizer
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Soy Ginger Steak Bites – so tender and juicy
- Homemade Salsa – restaurant style
- Chili Cheese Dogs – a crowd favorite
- Homemade Poutine – a Canadian Classic
- Garlic Parmesan Fries – gourmet!
Did you make these Chili Cheese Fries? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Chili Cheese Fries
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper finely chopped
- 15 ounces kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups hot cooked french fries about 32 ounces frozen
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream for topping
- green onions chopped
- tomatoes diced
- Cook fries according to recipe or package directions (we love this baked fries recipe).
- In large skillet brown ground beef, onions, and bell pepper until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in remaining chili ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or until the stock has cooked down and the chili sauce has thickened.
- Divide fries over 4 plates. Top with hot chili and cheese. Add additional toppings as desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)