While there are a few steps to this recipe, they are not that tricky to make… and truly, there is nothing that tastes quite as good as a fresh homemade soft pretzel fresh out of the oven!
These are delicious dipped in mustard or even cheese sauce.
Click print here ↓
Oven Baked Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 pkg)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 oz butter melted
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- kosher salt
- Combine water, sugar, salt, and yeast in a stand mixer. Let sit 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Add 2 cups flour and the butter to the yeast mixture. With a dough hook, mix on low. Continue adding flour a bit at a time until combined.
- Knead in the mixer with the hook until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes (or knead on the counter by hand about 10 minutes).
- Remove the dough, place in an oiled bowl and cover. Set in a warm place and allow to rise 60 minutes or until the dough has doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line baking pans with parchment paper. Bring water and baking soda to a boil.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a 24" rope. Form the dough into a "U" shape. Cross the two ends over each other and fold down to the bottom of the U to form a pretzel shape. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Gently place pretzels on a large spatula and lower into the boiling water. Let boil 10-15 seconds. Gently lift out of the water, let excess drip off and place on prepared pan allowing at least 2" between pretzels.
- Brush each pretzel with egg was and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden.