I make these Crispy Oven Fries all of the time! My kids love them even more than the store bought fries and these are so much better for them!
Skin or No Skin?
I always leave the skin on because it adds a little bit extra fiber (and personally I like the way it tastes… and it’s easier). If you prefer you can peel the potatoes first!
Two great tips to make your oven fries crispy…
- soaking the potatoes in cold water after cutting, use the coldest water possible. This step removes a lot of starch (you will see it in the bowl after you remove them) resulting in a crispier french fry! Make sure you dry them well after this step so they don’t steam and get soft when they bake!
- two teaspoons of sugar added in doesn’t sweeten the fries but helps them crisp up just a little bit more! (Thanks for this great tip Jina)
For info on types of potatoes and storage, check out our tip of the day!
Crispy Oven Fries (with 2 great tips to make them crispy!)
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 11/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoning of choice (lemon pepper, seasoning salt, or your favorite seasoning blend)
- Preheat oven to 400. Wash potatoes leaving skin on (you can peel them if you prefer).
- Fill a bowl with cold water. Slice potatoes into 3-4 slices length wise and then into strips.
- Let potatoes soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes (this removes starch from the potato resulting in crispier french fries). Remove from water and pat dry.
- Toss with oil, sugar and seasoning.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Turn fries and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)