This old fashioned Sloppy Joe Recipe is a quick and easy family-pleasin’ kind of meal. Ground beef crumbles in a tangy-sweet sauce piled on toasted buns.
These homemade sloppy joes taste so much better than anything you’d get from a can and it doesn’t take much extra time!
What is a Sloppy Joe?
A Sloppy Joe is a warm sandwich made from browned and crumbled ground beef simmered in a zesty tomato-based sauce and piled on hamburger buns.
True to their name, they are finger-lickingly sloppy, so be sure to serve with plenty of napkins! Or use my tip in the recipe below to cut down on the drips.
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Very little prepping is needed for this easy weeknight timesaver, which is just one more reason to love this sloppy joe recipe. You can substitute ground turkey, chicken or pork for the beef if you prefer. Some diced bell peppers (or jalapenos for some heat) would bring in an extra layer of flavor and pizzazz.
- Brown and crumble the ground beef with onion and garlic.
- To Make sloppy joe sauce, simply add the ingredients to the beef and simmer.
- Pile on buns and enjoy!
If you want a thicker sauce, just simmer a little bit longer. If you’re serving a crowd, make big back slow cooker sloppy joes and keep them warm so your guests can serve themselves!
Serve Them With…
Unlike hamburgers, this hearty sandwich doesn’t need any condiments. The yummy full-bodied sauce takes care of all that. Instead of hamburger buns, you could serve them on brioche rolls or toasted English muffins.
Leftover Sloppy Joe Meat?
It both freezes and reheats well to make more sandwiches.
You can also:
- add it to grilled cheese sandwiches
- spread it over pizza dough
- scoop it on macaroni and cheese
- tuck it into tortillas or taco shells
There is no end to what can be made with leftovers so don’t be afraid to double up this recipe!
Easy Ground Beef Meals
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos – made with 5 simple ingredients
- Easy Hamburger Soup – quick & easy meal!
- Hamburger Casserole– a family favorite in a zesty sauce
- Ground Beef Stroganoff – ready in under 30 mins
- Beef Taco Casserole – hearty casserole with our favorite taco toppings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Brown ground beef and onions in a large skillet until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes uncovered or until sauce is thick.
- Spoon meat mixture over sesame seed hamburger buns and serve.
Option: Add 1/2 green or red bell pepper, finely diced along with the sauce mixture. To make sloppy joes tidy, purchase whole rolls. Instead of cutting rolls in half, use your finger to create a cavity in the roll and fill with sloppy joe mixture. To freeze, cool completely and place in a freezer bag. Keeps frozen up to 3 months.