Sweet Potato Fries are a favorite side dish for any meal from burgers to steaks! You need just a handful of ingredients including sweet potatoes, olive oil and seasonings for perfect fries!
These fries are oven-baked for maximum flavor without added fat and calories.
I’ve tried countless baked sweet potato fries recipes. Many add cornstarch etc before baking and to be honest, I just didn’t care for it or find it necessary. I find by cutting them a bit thicker, generously tossing with oil and seasoning well, they’re perfect as is.
How to Cut Sweet Potato Fries
To peel or not to peel? My vote is no, don’t peel them. Some people peel the skins from sweet potatoes for fries, but I consider this optional and most often leave it on after a good scrub.
The peel actually has lots of good nutrition and antioxidants plus I love the flavor and texture. If you’d prefer, go ahead and peel them!
Sweet potato fries can be cut in sticks or wedges. Unlike regular french fries, don’t cut these too thin as they will burn before they crisp. I find that cutting them into 1/2 inch wedges gives the best results.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries
Scrub the potatoes and cut into wedges. Once your fries are cut, just follow these steps:
- Toss with oil and seasonings (per recipe below).
- Place the fries skin side down in a single layer on parchment lined pans. (This is a bit tedious but makes the best fries, I use this method with potato wedges too).
- Bake until golden brown.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potato Fries
Bake your sweet potato fries for 35-40 minutes at 450°F. Make sure the oven is preheated before putting them in. You will know they are done when a few tips and edges are darkened, but not burned.
TIPS for the Best Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Use high heat.
- Don’t cut them too thin.
- Don’t crowd the pan. If you can, use two baking sheets.
- Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
Keep in mind, you’ll never get the same crisp baking sweet potato fries as you would deep frying them (as you get in a restaraunt)!
Another super simple favorite is 1/2 cup of mayonnaise mixed with fresh lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, salt & pepper. Add a dash of smoked paprika (and a couple of dashes of hot sauce). So good.
How to Season Sweet Potato Fries
Add your favorites from lemon pepper to Italian seasonings. Of course, you can never go wrong with just a simple sprinkling of salt.
Love sweets? Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, and ginger to boost the sweetness.
Sweet Potato Favorites
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 pounds small sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. For best results, line two baking pans.
- Cut into ½" wedges and toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and seasonings. Place on prepared pans making sure not to overcrowd.
- Place one baking pan on the lowest rack in the oven and the second baking pan in the top ⅓ of the oven.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes, switching the placement of the pans after 15 minutes.