Air fryer french fries are deliciously crisp and incredibly easy to make with very little fat.
Air fryers have revolutionized cooking nearly everything, including making your favorite crispy french fries in less time than baking in the oven!
Why We Love Fries in the Air Fryer
My air fryer is my new best friend! This easy recipe for homemade air fryer french fries replaces deep-fried fries for the perfect hamburger partner!
They are healthier than fast food (or even store-bought fries) and have great flavor. I definitely feel better eating these fries!
An air fryer circulates heat around each piece, crisping the outside while leaving the inside nice and fluffy making them quicker than oven fries.
Instead of deep-frying french fries, the air fryer uses a fraction of oil and has minimal cleanup, too! Or, stick with good old ketchup!
No Air Fryer?! No Problem!
You can make amazing crispy baked fries in the oven too!
Ingredients and Variations
POTATOES Russets are nice and starchy, they’re my first choice to give the perfect crisp with a fluffy interior.
You can make any kind of potato into fries; Yukon golds, red potatoes, or even frozen french fries!
SEASONING Olive oil (just a little though!), garlic powder, and seasoned salt are all that’s needed to complete the flavor of these fries! Lemon pepper seasoning is another favorite.
How to Make French Fries in Air Fryer
Air Fryer french fries are super easy to make and ready in no time for a perfect snack!
- Cut and soak fries for 30 minutes (PRO TIP: add a little granulated sugar to the water for a slightly sweet flavor- lots of fast-food restaurants do this).
- Drain fries and pat dry with a paper towel. Toss with oil and seasonings until all the pieces are evenly coated.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and into the preheated fryer.
- Cook 10 minutes, shake the basket, and continue to cook until golden brown on the outside.
Serve air fryer french fries with chipotle aioli, honey mustard, cocktail sauce, or ranch dressing. Or, try making delicious chili cheese fries!
How to Reheat
Crisp up leftover air fryer French fries by placing them back into a preheated air fryer for about 3-5 minutes.
Air Fryer Favorites
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Steak
- Rosemary Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Did you love these Air Fryer French Fries? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt or to taste
- Scrub potatoes and peel if desired. Cut into ¼" fries.
- Place fries in a large bowl and fill with cold water. Soak at least 30 minutes.
- Drain well and dab fries dry with a kitchen towel.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F.
- Toss potatoes with oil, garlic powder, and seasoned salt to taste.
- Place the potatoes in the basket and cook for 10 minutes. Shake/flip the potatoes and cook an additional 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Add additional salt to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Not crispy. Will try this recipe one more time before I throw it away
Reasons the fries would not be crispy would likely be one of the following:
1. The air fryer basket was too full. Smaller batches work better.
2. The fries were not dried well enough if they were soaked.
3. There was too much oil on the fries.
4. They need more time, air fryers can vary.
Hopefully one of those suggestions help you.
Thank you so much these are so good and not socked in oil. I have the Ninja Foodie 8 in 1 air fryer and it states to never use Olive Oil but using just a little Canola oil is still better then deep frying, I love it. I can make a larger batch and it is one of the best appliances I own. I am going to try the fried egg plant today.
You are very welcome Desiree! Glad this recipe works well for you! You will have to let us know how the fried eggplant turns out for you.
WHAT BRAND OF AIR FRYER DO YOU HAVE, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT SEVERAL. THANK YOU!!
I have this Cosori XL 5.8QT.
Do you soak frozen french fries too??
The frozen fries do not need to be soaked and can be cooked directly from frozen.
What temp and how long to air fry frozen sweet potato fries ? ?
Frozen sweet potato fries will need to cook at 400°F for about 9-12 minutes depending on how thick they are cut.
The nutrition information give the calorie count, but not the serving size. How many fries makes a serving?
This is an estimation as potatoes can vary in size. The nutrition information is for 1/4 of the recipe which would include two medium-sized russet potatoes. To get more accurate information, I would suggest weighing your potatoes and using a nutrition calculator with the actual weight (peeling will also change the fiber count). I hope that helps!
You mentioned even using frozen french fries. How would you make those in a air fryer? Thanks.
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Add frozen french fries to the air fryer in a single layer
Cook fries 14-16 minutes shaking after 10 minutes or until they reach desired crispness.
Making from fresh potatoes.