This turkey chili recipe is a delicious variation of our favorite hearty chili recipe.
Lean ground turkey, veggies, tomatoes, and beans are simmered in a rich tomato sauce for slow-cooked flavor in minutes!
A Family Favorite
- This turkey chili recipe, is packed full of zesty flavor with fewer calories.
- Make ahead and reheat throughout the week or freeze portions for single use in zippered bags for up to 6 months!
- Turkey chili is ready in 45 minutes from start to finish but tastes like it’s been slow-cooked all day!
- Double up the batch and freeze it for later.
Ingredients for Turkey Chili
Turkey: Use lean ground turkey or ground chicken. This recipe can also be made with 2 cups of leftover roast turkey if you’ve got leftovers.
Beans: This turkey chili uses canned kidney beans as they hold their shape well. Any variety of canned beans will work – try black beans, navy beans, or even lentils. Canned beans should be rinsed and drained to reduce excess sodium.
Sauce: Tomato sauce, broth, and canned tomatoes make up the base of this sauce. Rotel canned tomatoes add an extra punch of flavor but use regular diced tomatoes work too.
Seasonings: Chili powder adds a lot of flavor along with oregano and cumin. For some extra heat add a diced jalapeno or a little bit of cayenne pepper.
How to Make Turkey Chili
- Brown turkey with onion, garlic, and seasonings (as per the recipe below).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened.
Toppings for Turkey Chili
Create a DIY Turkey Chili bar and let everyone choose their favorite toppings in addition to sour cram!
- Fresh: sour cream or Greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, green onion
- Flavorful: cheddar cheese or other shredded cheese, tortilla chips
Leftover turkey chili can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and can be frozen in zippered bags for up to 4 months. Reheat on the stovetop.
Did your family enjoy this Turkey Chili? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 15.5 ounces kidney beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 10.5 ounces diced tomatoes with chiles 1 can, such as Rotel
- 1 cup chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bell pepper red or green, chopped
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Brown ground turkey, onion, garlic, and chili powder in a large pot until no pink remains.
- Add beans, diced tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, bell pepper, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes or until thickened. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.