Learn How to Blind Bake Pie Crust to flaky perfection! With just a few basic techniques and you’ll be able to turn your favorite homemade pie crust into a masterpiece!
Baked Pie crusts is great for Chocolate Silk Pie or an Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie!
What Is Blind Baking?
Don’t be afraid of the word ‘blind bake.’ It simply means baking a pie crust empty.
It’s mostly so a cold filling like chocolate pudding, mousse or pastry cream, and fresh fruit (like in a strawberry pie) can be poured inside and then chilled.
Why Blind Bake?
It is perfect when making a filling that is pre-cooked or made on the the stove top, and a critical step when creating a no bake pie.
Another reason to blind bake is to keep the crust from getting soggy for things like Quiche Recipe or even a Cheeseburger Pie.
How to Blind Bake Pie Crust
PREPARE CRUST: Preheat oven and roll pie crust on a lightly floured surface so that it measures 12” around. Line a 9″ pie plate and cut the edges so you have a ¼” overhang. Fold the edge under and crimp.
POKE CRUST WITH A FORK
Before you bake, you’ll want to use a fork to poke holes in the crust. This allows steam to escape and keeps the pie from bubbling up. Once this is done, you’ll need to add weights.
Cut an 11” circle of parchment paper and place in the center of the pie crust in the pie pan. Fill the center of the circle with pie weights (or use beans or even a couple of scoops of rice).
How Long to Bake?
Bake the pie crust with the weights (or beans or rice) in the center for about 15 minutes. Remove the pie crust from the oven and take out the parchment and weights and bake another 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
Cool the pie crust completely before adding the filling.
If not filling right away, store the pie crust in the the freezer. A frozen pie crust will last up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Perfect Pies and Fillings
- No Bake Key Lime Pie – ready in just 15 mins!
- Easy Homemade Lemon Curd – Great topped with berries
- No Bake Strawberry Pie – Fresh and summery
- Millionaire Pie – Only 5 minutes prep
- Banoffee Pie – Banana & Toffee
How to Blind Bake Pie Crust
- 1 single pie crust
- pie weights or beans or rice
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie crust into a 12" circle.
- Gently roll pie crust around the rolling pin and unroll over a 9" pie plate.
- Cut the edges to have a ¼" overhang. Fold the edge under and crimp as desired.
- Cut an 11" circle of parchment paper (or foil) and gently place in the pie crust. Fill the circle with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake the crust 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the parchment and beans/weights.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake an additional 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Thank you for the great tips! I will definitely try to make your way.
Your pie crust looks perfect!
Chocolate, coconut, and lemon are my three favorite pies. And I love lemon curd. Can’t wait to make your Easy Homemade Lemon Curd and add it as a pie filling!
Hope you love it Angie, let us know how it goes!
This crust looks absolutely fabulous! I have to give your recipe a try, I hope I’ll be able to make it as amazing as yours!
I am sure it will turn out great, Petro! Let us know how it looks :)