Lemon Curd is sweet, tangy, and packed with sweet tangy flavor.
With just a handful of ingredients, this homemade lemon curd recipe is incredibly easy to make. Simply whisk sugar, eggs, and butter with the juice and zest of fresh lemon.
This delicious spread/filling is surprisingly easy to make from scratch.
When life hands you lemons, make a lemon curd recipe! Sweet-tart and buttery and full of bright lemon flavor, you’ll want to eat it straight out of the jar!
What is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is a pudding-like spread that can be used in place of jam, or in desserts. In addition to fresh lemons, the ingredients for this easy curd recipe are simple and you likely have them on hand: sugar, eggs, and butter. That’s it!
While some recipes strain the curd, I never have found a need to and I don’t mind the little bits of zest. If you’d like to remove the zest, use a fine mesh strainer.
- Lemon juice is the main flavor (plus you want the zest) so fresh is best in this recipe. Bottled lemon juice can have a bitter flavor. You can substitute limes to make lime curd.
- Sugar balances the tart flavor of the lemon.
- This recipe uses whole eggs including both the egg whites and yolks.
- Unsalted butter adds both consistency and flavor.
How to Make Lemon Curd
Making this simple recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and takes almost no time at all! Be sure to continuously whisk it over medium-low heat to keep the eggs from scrambling.
- Juice and zest lemons.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan and heat until thickened. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Transfer to a bowl or jar, and cool. Store in the refrigerator.
No double boiler is required but ensure that the lemon curd is constantly whisked and heated over medium-low heat.
What to Do with Lemon Curd
It is typically stored in a jar, where it can be easily spooned out and slathered on biscuits or toast. But don’t stop there! Lemon curd filling is the perfect basis for many desserts inspired by lemon meringue pie.
- Breakfasts: Serve with waffles, crepes, or pancakes.
- Desserts: Lemon curd pie, use as a filling for cakes, fill tart shells, layer in a parfait or trifle. Use it to make a lemon cheesecake.
- Other ideas: Spoon over ice cream, serve with other baked goods like scones or biscuits. Top yogurt or mix with yogurt as a fruit dip.
This list goes on. Once you learn how simple it is to make it, you’ll never want to buy canned lemon pie filling ever again!
More Lemon Favorites
- Soft Lemon Cookies
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Fresh Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Lemon Zucchini Cupcakes
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Homemade Lemonade
- Lemon Custard
Did you enjoy this Lemon Curd Recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- Whisk lemon juice, sugar, eggs and zest.
- Add to a saucepan with butter and cook over medium-low heat whisking continuously until mixture thickens.
- Pour curd into a bowl and top with plastic wrap allowing the plastic wrap to touch the top of the curd.
- Cool completely and refrigerate.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!