Coconut Cream Pie is a deliciously fluffy pie loaded with coconut through and through!
This is the ultimate coconut cream pie because it has coconut in the crust, the filling and the topping making sure every single bite has the most delicious coconutty flavor!
Similar to Chocolate Silk Pie, the filling to this Coconut Cream Pie doesn’t require baking (although the crust does) but it does require chilling time so I prefer to make make it the day before.
It starts with a flaky crust brushed with a bit of egg white and sprinkled wit coconut. It’s baked until golden.
Next a very simple coconut cream pie filling is created from scratch! It’s fairly simple to make a homemade custard, just keep your heat low and continuously stir with a whisk. Once thickened and bubbly, add in your coconut!
Finally a topping of freshly whipped cream and of course more toasted coconut crowns this beautiful coconut pie!
When adding coconut to any recipe, toasting the coconut definitely makes a big difference in flavor. It’s simple to do an takes just a few minutes of time (I do it while the crust is baking). Toasted coconut can be stored for a while so I always do a little bit extra for adding onto desserts.
To make toasted coconut, place it in a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Stir every few minutes until the coconut becomes lightly toasted. Remove and let cool. The only coconut that needs to be toasted is the coconut for the topping but it’s great within the pie too.
To pipe the whipped cream, I placed it in a freezer bag and snipped the corner off. I just squeezed large spots all over the top until it was covered.
Just like that, a simple from scratch recipe for coconut cream pie! While there are a few steps but it’s honestly “easy as pie” to make!
Ulitmate Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 refrigerated pie crust or single pie crust recipe
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 egg white
- 2 eggs
- 1 can coconut milk (approx. 14 oz)
- half & half or light cream
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped cream or whipped topping (approx. 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut toasted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Unroll pie crust and brush with egg white. Sprinkle 1/2 cup coconut onto the crust and gently press to stick.
- Place in 9" pie pan and poke the bottom with a fork. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup and top to 3 cups with cream.
- In a large saucepan whisk together eggs, coconut milk/cream, cornstarch, white sugar and salt. Whisk over medium low heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 3/4 cup coconut.
- Immediately pour into cooled pie crust and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream or whipped topping and remaining coconut.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Here are a few more recipes you’ll love
Light and fluffy Millionaire Pie studded with cherries, coconut and nuts! Just 5 minutes f prep and no baking required!
Coconut Banana Cream Pie combines two of my favorite desserts in one dreamy bite!