This Coconut Cream Pie is a take on a favorite restaurant version that has a triple dose of coconut.
A flaky coconut crust is filled with a creamy coconut filling and a whipped cream topping. It’s all topped off with toasted coconut before serving.
- We love this coconut cream pie because it is packed with flavor in every bite.
- The filling has coconut milk added for extra flavor
- Coconut is added to every layer for extra goodness in every bite.
- Use a store-bought crust to save time.
THE CRUST: Use a store-bought crust to save time or make any single pie crust recipe. A graham cracker crust or even an oreo crust will also work well. Sprinkle coconut onto the crust and press it in before baking.
THE FILLING: This filling is easy to make with just sugar, coconut milk, eggs, and cream. The filling is thickened with cornstarch (similar to how I make homemade pudding).
Adding toasted coconut to the filling is optional. We love the extra boost of flavor it gives but of course it changes the texture. If you prefer a smoother filling you can skip this addition.
THE TOPPING: Add whipped cream and toasted coconut as a final touch to this decadent dessert recipe.
How to Toast Coconut
Stovetop (preferred method): Heat a pan over medium heat and add coconut flakes. Stir until the coconut is lightly browned and fragrant.
Oven: Spread coconut onto a parchment lined pan and bake at 325°F for 6-8 minutes. Stir after 3 minutes.
Microwave: Spread coconut on a plate and microwave in 30 second increments until lightly browned (this method is a less consistent method).
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
Whip up this cool dessert on a hot summer day:
- Bake Crust: Press coconut into the crust and bake according to directions below.
- Make Filling: Combine coconut milk and cream in a measuring cup (per the recipe below). Whisk with eggs, cornstarch, salt & sugar. Cook until thickened.
- Fill Pie Crust: Stir in toasted coconut and fill the prepared pie crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
- Top with whipped cream and additional coconut and serve.
Tips for Perfection
- When baking a pie crust, poke with a fork, cover with parchment paper, add the pie weights and then cook.
- Make sure that the crust has cooled before adding the filling.
- Don’t add the topping until the pie is set and chilled, plus ready to be served.
How to Store
Because of the milk content in this pie, it is best to always keep it in the refrigerator. Loosely cover it and it will keep refrigerated for 5 days.
Unfortunately, these pies do not freeze well. The good news is that you may just need to eat it all within 5 days!
Creamy & Delicious Pies
- Easy Banana Cream Pie – fluffy and delicious
- Coconut Banana Cream Pie – tropical variation
- Peanut Butter Banana Refrigerator Pie – easy rich filling
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe – delicious served cold
- Creamy Peach Pie – with streusel topping
Did you make this Coconut Cream Pie? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Homemade Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 single pie crust homemade or refrigerated/frozen
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 1 egg white
- 2 eggs
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 ⅓ cups light cream or half & half
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon pinch of salt
- ¾ cup flaked coconut toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping approx. 2 cups
- ¼ cup flaked coconut toasted
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Unroll pie crust (if using pastry type) into a 9" pie plate, & brush with egg white. Sprinkle ½ cup coconut onto the crust and gently press into crust. *
- Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork. Cover with parchment paper and fill it with beans or pie weights. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove parchment and weights and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add coconut flakes. Stir until the coconut is lightly browned and fragrant.
- Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup and add light cream (you should have about 3 cups liquid).
- In a large saucepan whisk together eggs, coconut milk/cream, cornstarch, white sugar & salt. Whisk over medium-low heat until thick & bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and ¾ cup coconut.
- Immediately pour into cooled pie crust & cover with plastic wrap touching the filling. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream or whipped topping & remaining coconut.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Could I put a meringue on top instead of whipped topping
Sure you can!
Made this coconut cream pie yesterday.
I was a little nervous as one review said it didn’t set up and another said it was too rubbery. However I made it (minus the crust as I had some frozen already) and it turned out beautifully. On-top of that it was super easy to follow and make and so delicious.
This will be my go to for coconut cream pie from now on.
Do you think a baked meringue would work instead of whipped topping
I haven’t tried it so I can’t say for sure but maybe another reader has tried it and can provide some insight! If you try it, I would love to hear how it turns out!
Tasty delicious coconut cream pie which you can have with your children, or else with friends in a party.