An arugula salad is light, refreshing with a peppery bite. With just 3 ingredients (plus seasoning) this simple homemade vinaigrette is so easy, it’ll become a staple in your fridge!
We love to add in fresh fruit from berries and cherries to peaches and a bit of creamy tang with either feta or goat cheese.
An Easy Side Salad
So, what is arugula? Arugula is sometimes called “rocket” and it’s a dark leafy green from the broccoli family. It has a peppery and almost bitter flavor. Because of the bitterness, arugula salad is best mixed with fruits, berries (or even tomatoes). A creamy soft cheese is great too.
Arugula Salad Dressing
Once you start making your own dressings at home, you’ll never want to buy dressing again. They’re so easy to make, last a long time in the fridge and the flavor just cannot be compared.
This dressing is a favorite on any salad for us but because of the sweetness, it pairs especially well with this salad.
In a mason jar, shake up a simple combination of:
- a light tasting olive oil (4 tbs) or vegetable oil
- honey (1 1/2 tsp)
- rice vinegar (2 tbs)
- seasoning to taste
Do a Double Take! This arugula salad dressing is super fast and easy. It pairs well with bolder flavored greens and can even be used on kale salad. Double or triple the recipe, it’ll keep in the fridge for weeks.
How to Make Arugula Salad
- Whisk the ingredients for the arugula salad dressing and set aside.
- Toast and roughly chop the nuts, slice the onion and wash slice and/or pit fruits as needed (I use this cherry pitter, the best ever)!
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, crumble in the feta and toss with the dressing.
To Toast Nuts: Place them in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet in a preheated 350°F oven or toaster oven for about 5 minutes. Be sure to watch them carefully, as they toast quickly, and easily burn.
As mentioned, arugula has an intense taste that makes it almost more like an herb than a vegetable. I like to serve it with roasted or grilled meats like baked chicken thighs or next to a Margherita Pizza.
As with any salad, substitutions or additions are encouraged! Try adding some of these ingredients for an arugula salad that is totally your own.
- Cheese: goat cheese or shaved parmesan instead of, or in addition to the feta.
- Fruit: pears, apples, grapes, strawberries, peaches
- Nuts: toasted pine nuts or pecans
- Vegetables: If you want a milder salad, you can also try mixing in some romaine or spinach leaves.
Did you try this dressing? Leave a comment below and let us know what your fave additions are!
Easy Arugula Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- ¼ cup light tasting olive oil or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups fruit or berries peaches, cherries, strawberries, blackberries
- ¼ cup feta cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts or pecans
- Mix rice vinegar and honey in a bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking until incorporated. Taste and season with salt & pepper.
- Add arugula, feta cheese, and red onion to a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine.
- Garnish with fruit and nuts.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
More Easy Side Salads
- Winter Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette
- Cucumber Onion Salad – pairs perfectly with spicy meats
- Beet Salad
- Pistachio Strawberry Salad – ready in 20 mins!
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad – summer favorite!
- Asian Chopped Salad
- Tomato Avocado Salad – made with red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – 4 ingredient dressing
- Harvest Farro Salad