Szechuan Green Beans are crisp, spicy and full of tangy flavor and definitely my favorite vegetable on a take out menu! Green beans are pan-fried crisp with garlic and a simple sauce.
These deliciously crunchy, spicy green beans are easy to make in about 15 minutes!
Spicy Szechuan Green Beans
We love these Szechuan Green Beans because they’re the perfect complement almost any meal.
Eat them hot or cold, over a plate of rice or in a stir fry cooked with tofu, chicken, or ground pork or beef.
Ingredients and Variations
GREEN BEANS Fresh from the garden or the local market is my first choice. Frozen will work in this recipe too.
SEASONINGS Here, we briefly sauté the green beans in oil, garlic, and ginger. Toss in a little soy sauce, garlic chili paste, and a splash of sesame oil before serving.
VARIATIONS Too spicy? Simply decrease the amount of Sambal. Sweeten it up if you’d like, add two teaspoons of brown sugar!
Ingredient Info: Sambal Oelek
Sambal is a bright and spicy red chili paste that can be found in the Asian foods section of the supermarket.
It gives a distinctively hot, garlicky flavor to recipes and a little bit goes a long way! Look for it in small, clear containers that have a bright green screw-on lid. Sambal will last about 6 months in the fridge.
How to Make Spicy Green Beans
Szechuan Green Beans are super easy to make right in your own kitchen! Cook the beans at a high temperature to give them nice color without overcooking them.
- Clean and trim green beans. Pat them dry with a paper towel or a clean dishcloth.
- Sauté green beans in oil according to recipe instructions below.
- Add garlic and ginger for about 30 seconds, then add the remaining ingredients. The beans should be tender-crisp and the sauce a little thickened.
PRO TIP: For a thicker sauce, remove the green beans and let the sauce cook down until desired thickness is achieved. This is called a sauce “reduction.”
- Soy Ginger Steak Bites – tender & juicy
- Sticky Honey Chicken – ready in 25 minutes
- Kung Pao Shrimp
- Easy Homemade Chow Mein – with homemade sauce
- Sesame Chicken – a family favorite
Did your family love these Spicy Green Beans? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Szechuan Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili paste or Sambal Oelek or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Rinse and trim green beans. Pat dry.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and stir-fry 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook 3 minutes or until beans are tender-crisp and sauce is slightly thickened
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.