Unwrapped Wonton Soup is a quick shortcut for a favorite soup recipe!
This soup has all the great flavors of a classic wonton soup without the tedious task of wrapping the wontons! Add in veggies (and even shrimp) for the perfect meal.
Quick & Easy
Tiny meatballs made from ground pork (or chicken or shrimp) are simmered in a flavorful ginger-sesame broth.
Making wonton flavored meatballs saves on prep time but truly tastes as good as good as the original! The wonton meatballs can be made ahead of time and frozen and then tossed right into the broth to defrost and cook!
BROTH Flavored with sesame oil, ginger, and garlic this chicken broth base is packed with delicious Asian flavors!
MEATBALLS Wontons are traditionally made from ground pork but chicken or turkey work too. The meatballs add both the texture and flavor you love in your favorite wonton soup recipe.
VEGGIES For convenience we love to add in frozen Asian mixed vegetables to this recipe. If adding fresh veggies, try snow peas, chopped broccoli, water chestnuts, baby corn, and Chinese cabbage to name a few.
NOODLES Toss in some premade egg noodles, they only require about 3-4 minutes to fully cook! If you’re going to be saving leftovers, cook the noodles on the side and add them to each bowl.
To make wonton soup a little spicy, try adding a tiny bit of Sriracha!
How To Make Unwrapped Wonton Soup
Without wrapped wontons, this simple soup is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Make meatballs and add to simmering broth.
- Add remaining ingredients, except egg noodles and green onions, and cook over medium heat.
- Add the egg noodles and cook until tender (per recipe below).
Garnish with sliced green onions and serve immediately.
How To Store Leftovers
To reheat, put in a pot on the stove and bring it up to medium heat. Add a few splashes of soy sauce and some extra minced garlic and ginger and serve!
Store cooked noodles in a separate bowl if you’re saving leftovers. If left in the broth too long, they’ll soak up the liquid and get mushy.
Easy Asian-Inspired Dishes
- Homemade Wonton Soup
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps – easy & quick to prepare!
- Homemade Wor Won Ton Soup
- Sesame Chicken – tender & delicious
- Sesame Ramen Noodles
- Asian Chopped Salad– crispy healthy meal
Did you love this Unwrapped Wonton Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Unwrapped Wonton Soup
- 8 ounces ground pork
- ¼ cup green onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables
- 2 cups egg noodles uncooked
- 4 green onions sliced
- Combine meatball ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Form into small ½" meatballs.
- Add broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil and gently add meatballs. Reduce heat to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add egg noodles and vegetables. Simmer an additional 8 minutes or until egg noodles are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in green onions. Serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)