Grilled teriyaki chicken is easy to make and extra juicy and flavorful!
Marinated in a citrusy, sweet, and sour sauce, chicken thighs are the ultimate in picnic and party fare! Served over a bed of rice or with some potatoes, this makes a hard-to-resist meal.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- The homemade marinade is easy to make and packed with flavor.
- To make prep even faster, this recipe works well with a bottled marinade if you prefer.
- Chicken thighs are easy to cook and come out extra juicy (but you can use chicken breasts if you’d prefer).
- These reheat well, they’re great for salads or rice bowls. Slice them and add to wraps or even stir fries.
Ingredients & Variations
Chicken – This recipe is best made with fresh boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Boneless chicken breasts can be used. Pound the chicken to ½-inch thick before marinating. This is also a great recipe for shrimp (place them on skewers so they don’t fall through the grill grates), and even pre-made meatballs.
Teryaki Marinade – The marinade in this recipe both flavors and tenderizes the meat. In this recipe, we use orange juice, soy sauce, and sweet rice wine. Pineapple or apple juice will work in a pinch.
Sweeten the marinade with honey and add fresh ginger and garlic for that distinct umami flavor. Or make homemade teriyaki sauce without thickening to use as marinade.
How to Make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
Just a few simple steps for this sweet and sour chicken.
- Prep Marinade: Make the marinade and add it to a bowl or zippered bag.
- Marinate Chicken: Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours or overnight (as per the recipe below).
- Cook: Grill chicken pieces until they are cooked through and no pink remains (discard unused marinade).
This teriyaki chicken recipe is delicious hot off the grill but it is also great for meal prep!
- Partner grilled chicken teriyaki with an amazing rice recipe like garlic butter rice or seasoned rice.
- Make it into a Teriyaki bowl Panda Express-style, with a tangy slaw!
- Turn it into a yummy chicken sandwich with a couple of slices of grilled pineapple.
- Slice it and add it to a salad (with ginger dressing) or a wrap with shredded cabbage.
Fridge: Keep leftover grilled teriyaki chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy cold or reheat in the microwave or oven.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Did you make this Grilled Teriyaki Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice wine optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine chicken and marinade ingredients in a bowl or freezer bag.
- Marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium. Remove chicken from marinade and discard any marinade.
- Grill chicken thighs 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through and no pink remains (165°F).
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!