This grilled teriyaki chicken recipe is packed with flavor.
Boneless chicken is marinated in a simple sweet, and savory teriyaki sauce. This homemade sauce is super easy to make with ingredients you likely have on hand; like orange juice, soy sauce, honey, and ginger.
It’s easy to whip up, grills up beautifully and everyone loves it!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- The homemade marinade is easy to make and packed with flavor.
- To make prep even faster, this recipe works well with a pre-made or homemade teriyaki sauce if you prefer.
- Chicken thighs are easy to cook and come out extra juicy (but you can use chicken breasts if you’d prefer).
- These reheat well, they’re great for salads or rice bowls. Slice them and add to wraps or even stir-fries.
Ingredients & Variations
Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken thighs are a favorite for grilling because they always come out juicy. But if you prefer, chicken breasts can work beautifully as well. Pound the chicken breasts to ½-inch thick before marinating.
- Sweet & Tangy – Orange juice adds freshness, while honey helps the chicken caramelize. Ketchup adds a touch of tangy sweetness. Replace honey with maple syrup or brown sugar if needed. Pineapple juice can be used in place of orange juice.
- Flavor Boosters – Soy sauce adds salty umami, while green onions, garlic, and fresh ginger add a big boost of flavor.
How to Make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
Just a few simple steps for this Teriyaki chicken.
- Prep marinade: Make the marinade and add it to a bowl or zippered bag.
- Marinate chicken: Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours or overnight (as per the recipe below).
- Cook: Grill chicken pieces until they are cooked through and no pink remains (discard unused marinade).
This teriyaki chicken recipe is delicious hot off the grill but it is also great for meal prep!
- Pair grilled chicken teriyaki with an amazing rice recipe like garlic butter rice or fried rice.
- Make it into a Teriyaki bowl Panda Express-style, with a tangy slaw!
- Turn it into a yummy chicken sandwich with a couple of slices of grilled pineapple.
- Slice it and add it to a salad (with ginger dressing) or a wrap with shredded cabbage.
Fridge: Keep leftover grilled teriyaki chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy cold or reheat in the microwave or oven.
Freezer: Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Did you make this Grilled Teriyaki Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice wine optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- To make the marinade, in a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, green onion, ginger, rice wine, and garlic.
- If using chicken breasts, pound to ½-inch thickness with the flat side of a meat mallet. Chicken thighs do not need to be pounded.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from marinade, let excess drip off, and discard any marinade.
- Grill the chicken 5 to 7 minutes per side or until cooked through and no pink remains (165°F).
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.