Homemade Cornbread is tender and fluffy with just a hint of sweetness and it’s easy to make from scratch.
It’s the perfect bread to serve alongside your favorite hearty soups, stews, and chilis! Light, tender and moist, this recipe is perfect for dipping, dunking, or slathering with butter. Making cornbread from scratch is so easy I know you’re going to love it!
How to Make Cornbread
- Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the two just until moistened.
- Bake until fluffy.
BAKING TIP: This recipe uses buttermilk for a rich flavor as well as to get a great rise. No buttermilk? No problem!
Make your own buttermilk substitute by placing 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill with milk and let sit 5 minutes.
This cornbread recipe make a super moist and tender cornbread with just a hint of sweetness. I sometimes add a cup or so of corn kernels if I have them on hand (either canned and drained or frozen/defrosted).
Like most quick bread recipes (such as Banana Bread) be sure to mix the batter just until moistened. Overmixing can cause a dry, tough cornbread.
What Goes with Cornbread?
Cornbread is great topped with plain butter (or honey butter) but you can also top it with jam or jellies!
How to Store Cornbread
Cornbread is a delicious and moist quick bread and should be stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature (or in the fridge).
You can definitely freeze cornbread. Simply cut it into squares and place in a sealed container. If you are layering the cornbread, place parchment paper between the layers to avoid it sticking. Thaw by letting it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
If you’d like to reheat it, wrap in in foil and reheat in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350°F.
More Corn Recipes You’ll Love
- Corn Casserole – Holiday favorite!
- Homemade Creamed Corn
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder – Easy!
- Frito Corn Salad
- Mexican Corn Dip – Great appetizer!
- Ham and Corn Chowder – Comfort food!
- Cornbread Casserole
Easy Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until mixed.
- Spread into a greased 8x8 pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Recipe adapted from Chile Cheddar Cornbread.