This fluffy homemade cornbread recipe has a hint of sweetness, and it’s easy to make.
Light, tender, and moist, this recipe is perfect for dipping, dunking, or slathering with butter.
It’s the perfect bread to serve alongside your favorite hearty soups, stews, and chili recipes!
Ingredients for Cornbread
Dry Ingredients – All-purpose flour is the base of the recipe and adds structure and texture. Baking powder helps it rise while eggs help bind it all together.
Cornmeal – Yellow cornmeal is the star of this cornbread recipe. It gives a distinct yellow color and adds flavor and texture.
Sugar – A touch of sweetness to balance out the flavors.
Buttermilk – Adds a tangy flavor, but it also helps the cornbread rise, making it fluffy and moist (see recipe notes for substitution).
Butter – Butter adds richness and flavor and helps create a golden brown crust.
Buttermilk adds a rich flavor and the acidity helps this bread rise. You can replace buttermilk by placing 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup and filling it with milk. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes before using.
This soured milk mixture can be used in almost any recipe calling for buttermilk.
How to Make Cornbread
This easy cornbread recipe is perfect to slather in honey butter or dunk into a bowl of homemade chili!
- Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl per the recipe below. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the two just until moistened.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake until fluffy.
This homemade cornbread recipe is super moist and tender with just a hint of sweetness. This is not an overly sweet cornbread (and it is great in stuffing or dressing).
I sometimes add a cup or so of corn kernels if I have them on hand (either canned and drained or frozen/defrosted). Other additions include diced jalapenos, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon (or bacon drippings in place of some of the butter), or fresh herbs.
Tips for Fluffy Moist Cornbread
- Like most quick bread recipes (such as banana bread), mix the batter just until moistened. Overmixing can cause a dry, tough cornbread.
- Check the cornbread a few minutes early to ensure it doesn’t overbake. If a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, the cornbread is done.
- Let the cornbread cool at least 10 minutes before cutting so it doesn’t fall apart.
- Serve warm or reheat in the oven or microwave to reheat.
How to Store Cornbread
Cornbread is a delicious and moist quick bread and should be stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature (or in the fridge).
To freeze cornbread, cut it into squares and place it in an airtight container. If you are layering the cornbread, place parchment paper between the layers to avoid it sticking. Thaw by letting it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
If you’d like to reheat it, wrap it in foil and reheat it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350°F.
Did your family love this homemade Cornbread recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk, see notes
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Recipe adapted from Chile Cheddar Cornbread.