Chicken Divan is one of our favorite go-to dinner options, and it couldn’t be more delicious. In this easy divan recipe, Chicken and Broccoli are mixed with a rich and creamy sauce then baked until all warm and bubbly.
This recipe is a classic with one of my favorite flavor combos… chicken, broccoli and cheddar cheese. It is definitely no surprise that this Chicken Divan recipe has been enjoyed by so many families for decades!
Easy Chicken Divan
Chicken Broccoli Divan is a quick and easy casserole, making it the perfect dinner option for busy weeknights. If you use leftover baked chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken, you can have it on the table in under 30 minutes. Served alongside a fresh fresh green salad and some bread with Homemade Garlic Butter, this is one meal your family will request over and over.
What is Chicken Divan?
SAUCE: Chicken Divan gets its signature rich and creamy flavor from a mixture of cheddar cheese, milk, condensed mushroom soup, and sour cream. If you don’t have cream of mushroom soup handy, cream of chicken, cheddar or broccoli also taste amazing in this recipe! Some recipes do make Chicken Divan with mayo, however I prefer to use sour cream.
BROCCOLI: I always steam fresh broccoli for Chicken Divan but you can also add in cauliflower or asparagus (and we sometimes make it with a pinch of curry powder too)!
CHICKEN: The chicken is cooked before it goes into the recipe so if you have leftover chicken (or turkey) it’s perfect in this recipe. If not I usually make and shred poached chicken because it’s SO easy.
TOPPING: The butter and breadcrumb topping on this Chicken Divan casserole really gives it the perfect finishing touch. Just bake until the topping is golden and everything else is hot and bubbly!
How To Make Chicken and Broccoli Divan
I always make Chicken Divan with fresh broccoli, it has the best flavor and doesn’t end up watery or mushy as frozen broccoli sometimes does.
- Steaming your broccoli for a few minutes to get it slightly tender-crisp (it as it’ll cook more in the oven). Drain it very well (to keep your sauce from getting watery)
- Combine the divan sauce ingredients.
- Add chicken and broccoli to a dish, top with the cheesy sauce and buttery breadcrumbs
Bake about 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly! Easy peasy.
If you don’t eat the whole casserole (which we usually do around here, it’s SO good), it reheats perfectly. Simply place the Chicken Divan in the microwave, or reheat it in the oven or on the stovetop. Before reheating, I usually add a splash of milk to keep it nice and creamy.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Homemade Chicken Spaghetti – Reader favorite recipes!
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – Delicious twist on a classic.
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole – Creamy, cheesy and delicious.
- Salsa Chicken Casserole – Quick and flavorful
- 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole – Vintage recipe, no need to precook the rice!
Easy Chicken Divan
- 1 ½ pounds fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup milk
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 10 ½ ounces can condensed Cream of Mushroom or chicken soup
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder onion powder, dry mustard and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place broccoli in a large pot boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes or just until tender crisp. Drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, milk, condensed soup, sour cream and seasonings.
- Stir in broccoli and chicken and spread into a 3qt casserole dish (or a 9x13 pan). Top with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the chicken mixture.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned and the mixture is bubbly and hot.
- Serve over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, as desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!