Fried Rice is one of my favorite things to order at a Chinese restaurant.
I had no idea how to make fried rice at home but trust me, it’s so easy to recreate you won’t need to purchase takeout anymore!
Homemade fried rice takes about 15 minutes start to finish and is the perfect side dish or main meal!
It’s one of dishes that everyone loves and it’s the perfect way to use up any leftovers.
My daughter (who is almost 14) could pretty much exist on fried rice alone, it’s her favorite! The great thing about fried rice is that it’s the perfect place to load up on vegetables!
What Goes into Fried Rice?
Of course any good fried rice starts with day old (cold) rice, a bit of oil and some aromatics like garlic and ginger.
To make a vegetable fried rice, we often add in leftover vegetables we have on hand (corn, mushrooms, green beans and diced peppers are all great).
If you’re looking to chicken fried rice (or any protein at all) add protein, any cooked meat, including shrimp, chicken or beef would be great additions to this recipe!
The recipe below calls for white rice but you can certainly use brown rice, or quinoa. I even sometimes use cauliflower to create a lower carb Cauliflower Fried Rice!
Making fried rice isn’t difficult but there are a few tips that will help you get amazing results.
How to Make Fried Rice at Home
Fried rice is so easy to make at home it’s going to become a staple in your menu! Here are a few of my favorite tips to make sure your dish turns out perfectly every single time!
- Use Day Old Rice: For the best fried rice, you’ll want to use pre-cooked cold rice. Starting with cold rice will help you to get a good crisp on it which adds tons of flavor. Fresh rice has too much moisture and doesn’t crisp up as well (although it does still taste great in a pinch).
- Use a HOT Pan: Making sure your pan or wok is nice and hot will give the best results. You’ll add your oil and you want the rice to crisp & caramelize a little bit to give it flavor.
- Be Prepared: Fried rice is a VERY fast dish to make… you’ll want to make sure all of your ingredients are measured and ready to go.
- Pre-cook your eggs & protein: Once you have cooked your aromatics (garlic, ginger, onion) and vegetables, you want to crisp the rice and basically have everything else ready to go. This makes fried rice the perfect dish to use up leftover meat (beef, pork, shrimp or chicken). Just chop your leftovers and add them in with the eggs.
This easy rice dish is so quick to make and I have no doubt your family is going to love it as much as mine does!
Fried rice is now a staple in our menu since it’s easy to make and loaded with veggies and protein.
Serve this recipe on it’s own or along with Easy Mongolian Beef or even drizzle with Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce!
This is one meal your whole family will agree on!
QUICK & EASY FRIED RICE
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 green onions sliced and separated
- 3/4 cup frozen carrots or diced fresh
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs cooked and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken pork or shrimp (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 1/2 cups cold cooked white rice
- Heat oil in a wok or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add in garlic, ginger and the white portion of the green onions. Cook until fragrant.
- Add carrots & peas, cook until heated and softened.
- Add rice (and protein if using) continue to cook until rice slightly crisped and brown. Don’t stir too much, you do want to get a little bit of caramelization.
- Add in cooked egg, soy sauce & sesame oil.
- Garnish with remaining green onion and sesame seeds if desired.
More Recipes You’ll Love