Kung Pao shrimp is a delicious favorite recipe and one we love to make at home!
Tender juicy shrimp and bell peppers in a sauce with a little sweet heat. Top this dish with green onions and chopped peanuts for the perfect meal!
What is Kung Pao Shrimp?
Kung Pao shrimp is a sweet and spicy combination of fresh, crisp, sautéed veggies with shrimp.
The sauce for this recipe combines a bit of broth with bold flavors from soy sauce, hoisin and sesame oil. A sprinkle of chili flakes add some heat (add a little or a lot).
One of the most popular entrees on a Chinese food restaurant menu, you can also make Kung Pao chicken or beef.
Medium-sized, peeled & deveined shrimp in this recipe, but any size will work great!
Bell peppers, and diced onion are sauteed with the shrimp until soft. Feel free to add mushrooms, baby corn, snap peas or diced zucchini!
This sauce is the star of this dish! Soy sauce, brown sugar, chicken stock, hoisin, and sesame oil are whisked together to create this sweet & savory sauce.
Peanuts set this dish apart from other take-out favorites. Substitute with cashews if you don’t have peanuts.
How To Make Kung Pao Shrimp
Just a few simple steps and a special dinner will be on the table!
- Toss shrimp with cornstarch & soy sauce (this tenderizes and adds a nice crust).
- Cook onions, then bell peppers and garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer. Add the sauce to the skillet and the shrimp and cook until thickened.
- Like most stir fry recipes, this comes together quickly so prep your ingredients beforehand.
- Start with fresh, thawed peeled and de-veined shrimp and be sure not to overcook them.
- For extra flavor on the dry roasted peanuts, saute them in a dry pan for a few minutes to make them extra crunchy!
More Favorites at Home
- Beef and Broccoli – 30-minute meal
- Crispy Homemade Egg Roll recipe
- Cashew Chicken Stir Fry – full of flavor
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken – set it & forget it
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Shrimp Stir Fry
- Honey Garlic Chicken – with a sweet & savory sauce
- Szechuan Green Beans
Did you love this Kung Pao Shrimp? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Kung Pao Shrimp
- ¾ pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more if desired
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dry roasted peanuts
- ⅓ cup low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Combine shrimp, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Let marinate 10 minutes (while prepping the other vegetables). Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and stir-fry 2-3 minutes or just until it turns pink (it will continue to cook in the sauce). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed and add onions. Cook 2-3 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add in the red and green bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes or just until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the sauce and cook until it begins to thicken. Stir in the shrimp and simmer 1 minute more or just until cooked through.
- Stir in green onions and peanuts and serve over rice.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.