Summer squash rice is an easy side dish with tender veggies, rice, and lots of flavor!
Favorite Summer Squash Recipe
I’m always looking for new summer squash recipes, and this rice is a favorite! In this recipe rice is cooked with seasonings and tossed with garlic butter summer squash and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
SUMMER SQUASH Summer squash comes in a variety of sizes and colors, I most often use a yellow squash (the one that looks like yellow zucchini in this rice).
Feel free to mix it up and use any type of summer squash like zucchini, pattypan, or crookneck!
OTHER VEGGIES For more pops of color (& flavor), add some diced red bell pepper or sliced mushrooms, pretty much anything goes.
ADDITIONS This recipe uses long-grain rice but you can use brown rice in place. You’ll need to adjust the cook time and the liquid ratio slightly.
How to Make Summer Squash Rice
Summer squash rice is colorful and pleasing, but super easy to make!
- Cook rice in broth with butter and seasonings until tender.
- Cook squash with garlic butter.
- Stir in squash, tomato & a sprinkle of parmesan.
- No need to peel summer squash for this recipe as the skin will soften (& add extra color and nutrition)!
- For a gratin-like dish, put the cooked recipe in a casserole dish and cover with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Place the casserole dish under the broiler for about 3 minutes until the gratin is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Keep leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator. It should keep about 3 days.
- Reheat by popping it in the microwave and refresh the flavor with a little salt and pepper and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on the top!
Fave Rice Dishes
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Easy Fried Rice
- Quick Broccoli Rice
- Stuffed Peppers
- Dirty Rice
- Creamy Rice Pudding
- Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch
Did your family love this Summer Squash Rice? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Summer Squash Rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups summer squash or zucchini, diced ¼"
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small tomato diced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Bring chicken broth, rice, 1 tablespoon of butter, and Italian seasoning to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining butter over medium heat in a small skillet. Add summer squash and garlic and cook just until squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, stir in cooked squash, tomato, parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper to taste. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and additional parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
- Butternut Squash Soup – rich & creamy
- Greek Spaghetti Squash – ready in 15 minutes
- Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash – low carb meal
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole – healthy & flavorful
- Roasted Butternut Squash – the perfect side dish