Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash is a lower carb, lower-cal version of a classic favorite!
A layer of spaghetti squash is topped with a rich tomato sauce, juicy chunks of chicken, and of course lots of cheese. Bake this dish until bubbly and serve with a fresh side salad!
This is a simple casserole with the flavors of our favorite easy chicken parmesan recipe. Save time by prepping all of your ingredients as your spaghetti squash cooks.
- Cook spaghetti squash (bake or microwave).
- Brown chicken and simmer in marinara sauce or pasta sauce.
- Place spaghetti squash in a casserole dish, top with tomato sauce and cheese. Bake until bubbly.
The perfect dish when it’s cold outside and the fam is hungry for something filling and healthy. Serve with a side of homemade garlic bread for the perfect Italian meal!
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Don’t be by spaghetti squash- it’s easy to prepare!
Prep: Spaghetti squash can be very hard to cut in half (especially the larger ones). I often ask at the grocery and they’ll cut it for you. If not, poke it with a fork and microwave it whole for 3-5 minutes. This will make it easier to cut.
Oven: Once cut in half, scrape out the seeds, brush with olive oil, and roast cut side down for 45-60 minutes.
Microwave: If running short on time you can always skip the roasting and cook spaghetti squash in the microwave!
How to Make Spaghetti Squash Noodles
Once the spaghetti squash has been roasted, it’s easy to create those long, stringy noodles! Use a fork to lightly scrape the flesh out inside and watch the magic happen! Season with salt and pepper or a little olive oil and serve just as you would regular spaghetti… with fewer calories and carbs!
What to Serve with Parmesan Chicken
Spaghetti Squash Casserole (including this one) is a full meal in one pan. Add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and parsley and, voila, dinner is served!
To keep it low carb, serve with a crisp tossed salad or and Italian salad. If you’re not low carbin’ add in a crusty baguette to soak up the pasta sauce. A side of sautéed brussels sprouts with garlic would round out this healthy feast!
More Chicken Parm Inspiration
- One Pot Pizza Tortellini Bake – just one pan and 5 mins of prep!
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – meal the whole family with love.
- Pizza Pasta Bake – customize with your favorite toppings!
Did you enjoy this Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash 2-3 lbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 24 ounces marinara sauce or pasta sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes canned with juice
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon parsley fresh
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese shredded
- Mix all topping ingredients together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and drizzle the cut side with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down and bake 60 minutes or just until tender (or microwave per notes below).
- Meanwhile, season chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add marinara sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove spaghetti squash from the oven and run a fork along the flesh to separate into strands. Toss with butter and salt & pepper.
- Spoon spaghetti squash into a casserole dish and cover with the chicken mixture. Top with cheese and topping mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Slice from top to bottom lengthwise, remove seeds with a spoon and discard.
- Place squash in a casserole dish with 1/4 cup water and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave 6-10 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced through the skin with a fork. Proceed with recipe as directed.