Roasted Butternut Squash is the perfect side dish any time of year. While I serve it as a side dish, I also replace potatoes or Roasted Sweet Potatoes with squash too! It’s an amazing addition to salads or soups and perfect topped the same way you’d top a Perfect Baked Potato!
Roasted butternut squash is simple to make and full of flavor. We usually make it with savory seasonings but you can also make butternut squash with warm spices like cinnamon or nutmeg.
A lot of roasted butternut squash recipes add in either maple syrup or brown sugar and you certainly can add a tablespoon to this recipe as well. I find that, unlike Zucchini or Spaghetti Squash, a winter squash has so much natural sweetness that it doesn’t need added sugars.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
The steps to roast Butternut Squash are very simple! I personally like to cube the butternut squash before cooking although it can be a bit tough to cube. One of our local stores sells butternut squash cubes already peeled and cut making this recipe insanely easy!
- Slice squash in half and remove seeds and skin.
- Cube, season and place on a baking tray.
- Roast butternut squash until golden.
Easy peasy right?
How Long to Roast Butternut Squash
I roast butternut squash at a pretty high temperature so I can get that nice brown caramelization. That’s where all of the flavor is!
Cook 1″ butternut squash cubes at:
- 375°F for 35-40 minutes
- 400°F for 30-35 minutes
- 425°F for 25-30 minutes
To Cook a Whole Butternut Squash:
While I prefer to cook in cubes because there is more surface area to caramelize you can cook a whole butternut squash (halved of course) for things like soup or if you’re going to use it in a mash like Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
- Slice down the middle
- Remove seeds and pulp in the center
- Drizzle with oil and seasonings
- Roast uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork
What to do with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Serve it as a side, it’s delicious topped with butter or even a dollop of sour cream
- Cool it and add it to salads. It goes great with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- Use your favorite Potato Salad recipe and replace the spuds with cold roasted butternut squash. You’ll love it!
- Make Butternut Squash Soup, the ultimate comfort food!
- Stir it into Chicken Stew, Beef Stew, Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili or any soup (if it’s already cooked, it only needs about 5 minutes to heat through and absorb the flavors of the soup).
More Roasted Veggies You’ll Love
- Oven Roasted Broccoli – Just 10 minutes!
- Roasted Carrots
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – Perfect with every meal!
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Easy Roasted Cauliflower – SO easy!
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Garlic Parmesan Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash 2 ½ -3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out any seeds and pulp in the center. Slice into 1" slices across. Cut or peel the rind/skin off the edges and dice into 1" cubes.
- Place the squash on baking sheet pan and drizzle olive oil, thyme, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir to coat and arrange in a single layer of squash.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes if desired.
- Garnish with parsley (optional).