Roasted butternut squash makes a delicious side dish that pairs well with almost any meal.
Bright and tender cubes of butternut squash are tossed with herbs and seasonings and then roasted in the oven to perfection. Fluffy and soft on the inside and golden on the outside, this side dish is sure to be a hit.
Best Roasted Butternut Squash
- Fall is the season when the stores abound with bright and fleshy squashes and pumpkins. Full of antioxidants and vitamin A, squashes (and carrots) are a healthy addition to any diet.
- This is a simple and easy dish to make and requires so little prep time and few ingredients.
- Butternut squash has a natural hint of sweetness, nuttiness, and earthy undertones. All it needs is some olive oil for roasting, and a few seasonings to give it a little extra boost of flavor.
- This squash recipe is superb served as is, but can also be used for butternut squash soup. It can also be mashed for a flavorful mashed potato replacement.
Ingredients for Roasted Butternut Squash
Squash – When buying squash, pick one that has firm blemish-free flesh and a dark beige color. It should also feel heavier than the other squashes.
Variations – Add some sage, diced apple, or maple syrup for a sweeter or more savory flavor. Once it has finished roasting in the oven, add a handful of cranberries for a sweet and bright addition to the final dish.
How to Cut Butternut Squash
Follow these simple steps for prepping squash for roasting:
- Cut off the ends with a sharp knife and peel with a potato peeler or a small paring knife.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Cut the squash into long strips and then cubes.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
- Place the cubed squash on a pan and toss with oil and seasonings.
- Roast until perfectly golden and tender (per recipe below).
- Broil for 2 minutes if desired.
Veggies Taste Better Roasted!
Did your family enjoy this Roasted Butternut Squash recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash 2 ½ -3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves fresh
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out any seeds and pulp in the center. Slice into 1″ slices across. Cut or peel the rind/skin off the edges and dice into 1″ cubes.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil, thyme, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir to coat and arrange in a single layer.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes if desired.
- Garnish with parsley (optional).
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!