Baked Chicken Breasts is couldn’t be more simple or delicious to make! Chicken breasts are tossed in a simple herb mixture then oven baked until they are tender and juicy!
This easy baked chicken recipe makes chicken breasts that are lightly seasoning and great to top Chicken Salads, add to sandwiches, or stir into Easy Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie. While these are great to use in any recipe that requires cooked chicken breast, they’re so juicy and delicious, they’re great perfect served on their own too.
This is one of those recipes that you’ll find yourself using again and again. It produces an all purpose chicken breast that can be added to recipes, served in a sandwich or prepared ahead of time for meal prep. Of course we also love to serve it right of the pan as is with a side of Baked Zucchini and a salad.
Baked chicken breasts are naturally lean, packed full of protein, and easy to make. They are as simple as adding some herbs and oil, and throwing them in the oven!
How Long To Bake Chicken Breast
The key to a perfect baked chicken breast is timing. Chicken breasts are naturally lean, so if you overcook them they will come out dry. You want to hit the cooking time perfectly, and make sure you rest your meat before cutting it to allows all of the juices to reabsorb into the chicken keeping your chicken breast extra moist!
Cooking chicken breast at a higher temperature makes the best chicken as it seals the juices in while it cooks (I cook chicken at 400 degrees F).
How Long to Bake Chicken Breast at 400 Degrees
The chicken breast should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (I remove it around 160-162°F and let it climb to 165 while resting on the pan). This will take between 22 and 26 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Make sure you use a quick read meat thermometer to get them perfectly cooked.
If you have other items in the oven at a lower temperature, you can cook chicken breasts at 350 degrees for a bit longer although I prefer the higher heat above.
If the chicken breasts vary in thickness, using a meat tenderizer to pound them to an even thickness is a great way to ensure that they all cook evenly!
How To Bake Chicken Breast
Making baked boneless chicken breasts is very simple, the key is in the cooking time and temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Toss the chicken breasts with olive oil, herbs and spices
- Lightly grease a baking dish or pan so the chicken breasts don’t stick.
- Bake chicken breasts for 22-26 minutes or until they reach 165°F.
- Rest them before you slice or pull them.
This easy baked chicken breast recipe has a simple mixture of Italian seasoning, paprika, seasoning salt and pepper, but you can change it up depending on the recipe you are using the chicken in and what you have on hand.
More Easy Ways to Prepare Chicken
- How to Boil Chicken – Makes broth + meat!
- How to Make Poached Chicken – 15 minutes!
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breast – SO juicy!
- Instant Pot Chicken (Pressure Cooker)
- Lemon Roast Chicken
Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- 5-6 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss chicken breasts with olive oil and seasonings. Mix well to coat.
- Place on a lightly greased pan and bake 22-26 minutes or until temperature reaches 165°F.
- Rest 5 minutes before slicing.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)