Baked Chicken Breasts couldn’t be more simple or delicious to make! Chicken breasts are tossed in a simple herb mixture then oven baked until they are tender and juicy!
This easy baked chicken recipe makes chicken breasts that are lightly seasoned and great in Chicken Salads, or to stir into chicken casseroles. While these are great to use in any recipe that requires cooked chicken breast, they’re so juicy and delicious, they’re perfect served on their own too.
Juicy Baked Chicken
This is one of those recipes that you’ll find yourself using again and again. It produces an all-purpose chicken breast that can be added to recipes or made ahead for meal prep. Of course, we also love to serve it right of the pan as is with a side of Baked Zucchini and a salad.
Baked chicken breasts are naturally lean, packed full of protein, and easy to make. They are as simple as adding some herbs and oil, and throwing them in the oven!
The secret to really juicy chicken is a high temperature to seal in the juices and of course making sure you don’t overcook it.
How Long To Bake Chicken Breast
The key to a perfect baked chicken breast is temperature and timing. Chicken breasts are naturally lean, so if you overcook them, they will come out dry.
Cooking boneless skinless chicken breast at a higher temperature makes the best chicken as it seals the juices in while it cooks (I cook chicken at 400 degrees F). Make sure you use a quick read meat thermometer to get them perfectly cooked.
- To Bake Chicken Breast at 400°F: This will take between 22 and 26 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- You can cook chicken breasts at 350°F for closer to 25-30 minutes (although I prefer the higher heat above).
The chicken breast should reach an internal temperature of 165°F (I remove it around 160-162°F and let it climb to 165 while resting on the pan). If the chicken breasts vary in thickness, using a meat tenderizer to pound them to an even thickness is a great way to ensure that they all cook evenly!
TIP: Make sure you rest your meat before cutting it to allows all of the juices to reabsorb into the chicken keeping your chicken breast extra moist!
Chicken breasts can vary in size from 5 oz to 10 oz meaning that the cook time can vary! In this recipe, I use average-sized boneless breasts (about 6oz or so).
The very best way to ensure success is to use a meat thermometer. They’re a very inexpensive way to ensure you get perfectly juicy chicken (you can get them as low as $10).
How to Season Chicken Breasts
Chicken breasts are mildly flavored so you’ll want to add seasonings and some salt. Most of the time I don’t brine or use a chicken marinade as I’m most often looking for a quick meal but of course, you can do either. If cooked and seasoned well, they’re tender and juicy on their own.
Really anything goes but here are some of my favorite seasonings for chicken breasts:
- Italian seasoning, salt and paprika (per recipe below)
- Cajun seasoning
- Taco Seasoning
- Salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh herbs with lemon zest
- Store-bought chicken or steak seasonings or rubs
How To Bake Chicken Breast
Making baked boneless chicken breasts is very simple, the key is in the cooking time and temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the chicken breasts with olive oil, herbs, and spices (per recipe below).
- Lightly grease a baking dish or pan so the chicken breasts don’t stick.
- Bake chicken breasts for 22-26 minutes or until they reach 165°F.
- Rest them before you slice or pull them.
This easy baked chicken breast recipe has a simple mixture of Italian seasoning, paprika, seasoning salt and pepper, but you can change it up depending on the recipe you are using the chicken in and what you have on hand.
More Easy Ways to Prepare Chicken
- How to Boil Chicken – Makes broth + meat!
- How to Make Poached Chicken – 15 minutes!
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breast – SO juicy!
- Instant Pot Chicken (Pressure Cooker)
- Lemon Roast Chicken
Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss chicken breasts with olive oil and seasonings. Mix well to coat.
- Place on a lightly greased pan and bake 22-26 minutes or until temperature reaches 165°F.
- Rest 5 minutes before slicing.